1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pricing in trimming trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by 3d2r, Jun 7, 2004.

1. 3d2r

3d2r LawnSite Member

This person wants me to trim 30 to 35 oak trees. There about 15' to 30' tall can someone give me advise on how to price them in trimming, loading, unloading and hauling them.
  2. neal-wolbertsinc

neal-wolbertsinc LawnSite Member

What do you mean by trimming? Neal
  3. 3d2r

3d2r LawnSite Member

This guy just bought a house that has been vacant for 3 years and landsaping is horrible. He has trees with old limbs, moss,
    low hanging and even dead trees. So basically shape up the trees nice and pruned

TREEGODFATHER LawnSite Member

Best bet is to sub it out to an arborist. He'll have the climbers, chipper, and experience.

I work for alot of landscapers who sub such work out, and it has worked out best for all involved.
  5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

See my reply to your other post. Apparently you double posted and I didn't know it.

6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Man. 35 trees. I'd take that deal. If you've got a good saw and the proper safety equipment to climb, more power to you.

(I have all the safety equipment because I rock climb, so thats my case).

30-35 trees is alot of wood. Figure out a plan on removing it. Can you transport all the branches to one part of the property and then chip them into a pile, or if the customer wants them hauled offsite, the best economical decision is to get someone to come chip/haul them for you.

I have a minimum for 70 per tree. Tree trimming for me to run around up there with a saw / pole saw will add an additional 70 bucks per hour. Hope this helps.

If you've never done climbing such as this before, save your life and sub it out and make a NICE profit on it. Trying something for the first time and running the risk of being seriously injured or dying isn't worth the risk. I've just been climbing for the past 8 years so it's somewhat second nature to my little monkey body:-D

Pole saw??

Damn, you must do well. I only get a measly $135 per crew hour for "running around up there with a saw".

FYI, if you have a climber show up with spikes to do a pruning, send away and FAST. Those things are for removals only.
  8. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

If you have never been in a tree with a saw before..............You better sub it out or you'll get hurt bad.

It takes 2 hands to run a saw of any size....enough said.

treegodfather is right on it.

Proper pruning is an art. Arborists have to envision the tree as it will look 20 or 30 years down the road; not just how it looks as it's trimmed today. I see a LOT of trees that look like heck because a landscaper took it upon themselves to "prune" and make a few bucks.

Not knocking 'scapers (I wouldn't know where to begin to do HALF the awesome looking work you guys do), but it's two different professions.
  10. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Are you saying my rates are a little low? I figured they are about as low as can be. But again, I probably don't get as much done as you do.

And in no way would I ever, EVER, use spikes for climbing a living tree (that was going to stay alive).

Just my regular boots and harness and my webbing.

Then either one of my two ropes (static or dynamic) and a figure 8 or an atc for descending.

I've got a nice pair of petzl ascenders that can get me to any height pretty fast.