Pricing in Waco TX area?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Rythers Landscaping Inc., Mar 18, 2007.

1. Rythers Landscaping Inc.

Rythers Landscaping Inc. LawnSite Member
    from Waco TX

Hello, I'm new to this site.

I'm just starting out and I would like to find out what the going rate is for basic mowing and trimming services around here.

Is anyone on this site working in the Waco area? If so, what do you charge to mow small, medium, and large yards? I don't want to be a "lowballer" and I figure that I would just lose money if I tried to operate that way. I will be a sole operator, no employees.

Tim

2. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

$15 to $30.

In Hewitt you might got $30 to $35. In Bellmead $15 to $25.
    Good luck, your comp(beaners) will lowball you faster than you can blink.

3. Rythers Landscaping Inc.

from Waco TX

Thanks Toy2. What's a beaner? Do you do more than just mowing?

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Waco? I went to school there. I has to be $1. each.

Sorry.
    yo uhave to learn your area.

5. Toy2

Beaners are all the illegals that seem to be taking over Texas......yes I do more than mow, planting, have done some small brick patios in Hewitt, front yards....the ones with the fancy table and chairs, but no one sits in them..all looks.....The drought in late 05 wiped me out,started diping into the savings....then faced reality, got a real job, so now I just mow for cash....4 yards every Saturday, $25.00 a pop, $400.00 a month...if someone wants extra mulch, trimming, etc...I think about it first, if its easy $$ I will do it, if not I sub it out to someone else...Its better to mow if you want to, rather than have to.....If the biz was regulated some how, people around here who speak english would make some serious coin....but until them we are all screwed.......I wish you the best......

6. 2k1yzfr1

2k1yzfr1 LawnSite Senior Member

What part of Waco are you trying to get clients at? Most of my accounts average 120-140 a month for the average 8-15k yard. As hard as toy2 makes the market sound......it's not that bad..... you just need to find a niche, keep your overhead low and save money for drought. I'd stay away from all the "high end" neighborhoods (Hidden Valley, Badger Ranch, River Side, Stonecreek, etc) all of them seemed to get flooded every year with lowballing doorhangers. Have you purchased any equipment yet?

7. Rythers Landscaping Inc.

from Waco TX

I didn't have any particular area in mind. I'm in Lacy Lakeview, but I would go anywhere within 10 or 12 miles to get clients.

I have a Toro Proline 36 that I bought last year. I plan on using that most of the time. I also have an Ariens 21 inch walk behind and a Lawnboy 21 inch 2 stroke. I have a Shindaiwa Homepro trimmer and a Husqvarna handheld blower.

All this stuff is my personal equipment. Technically the company doesn't have any equipment yet. I figured that I would use my consumer equipment until it wears out, and by then the company will have enough cash flow to replace the consumer stuff. The Toro, I'm going to keep, no matter what happens with my company. I use it to mow my own yard now.

8. Toy2

Do you have regular job? I would have something to lean on, its alot easier to mow if you don't really need the money, then build up your business. As for the local market, 23 ads for lawn service in the Waco paper today, name your price???? Stick to your area first, less travel time. I stayed in Hewitt, the ones I have now, I just ride over on the 36 and mow, no travel time........had a couple of homes in Hidden Valley, the rich all want mexicans anyway, better results, cheap prices.... I guess. Good luck!!

9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Gee toy2, funny thing, I think all of your rich "mexican wanting" clients showed up where I live.
    Your comments display a narrow mindedness that is on par with Calvin and Philk.
    I'm white, have work booked for two months, and best of all I thought out my business so it actually IS a business - which is thriving.
    Business isn't luck, business is planning, attitude, forthrightness and fortitude - not blanket racist statements.

10. Lawns by Steve

Lawns by Steve LawnSite Member

Very well put, I am new to this business and was concerned with people low balling me. I have moved past that and decided to just let my work speak for it's self. If you are motivated and business savvy you will succeed at anything you want bad enough. I feel that customer service and professionalism will take you further than just being the best price in town.:usflag: