Pricing is messed up

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LCME, Sep 28, 2004.

1. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

Went out to Troy yesterday. Guy wants mulch installed. Gave him an estimate. Today he calls me. Will be out of town for a week and wants me to cut his lawn tomorrow. Without me asking he says will you cut for $50. I'm like what the... :blob3: his lot is like a postage stamp. 80 x 200 deep. The whole system is messed up. 2ac people want to spend $35. But, you get one like this at $50!. Do you guys think I should be cautious. Have him sign a check up front. Or, just do it and bill later?. Thanks, LCME

2. cward

cward LawnSite Member

LCME, be careful. There are hundreds of no-pay threads that sound exactly like what you are describing. Maybe air to caution on this one. Did he seem like a descent person when you gave him an estimate? If there weren't any flags that went up, I'd mow it. I wouldn't mulch or do anything crazy that would put you out any money though. Good luck and let us know how this turns out.

3. turf9

turf9 LawnSite Member

Totally watch yourself on this one.Had it happen to me when I new at this.I always go for cash at the beginning, "oh your not home well leave it under the BBQ lid or whatever". You know what i mean.When you get the hang of them thats different.

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yes make him Pre-pay for sure unless you know him.

Also is it a big house taking up alot of that space? Cause 80X200 is 16,000 sq ft and I don't call that a stamp.

5. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

LCME,
    My first year in the business so haven't had this experience yet but I know what I'd do. Get the $50 up front, do the job and see how it goes. You may find that there is more trimming involved then originally thought, or lawn is bigger then what you thought making that $50 about right. But if you feel it's a $40 or $35 job based on the going rates in your market, tell him that and continue cutting for him at the new rate.

Reason I'd do it that way is if another LCO gives him a quote for $35 after you've been doing it at $50 (and it should be a $35 lawn) he may drop you. If you do it at the proper rate to begin with, you'll likely be able to keep him for years. I don't know man, just my opinion. Many other guys out here with more experience then me, hope they chime in to help out.

Buck

6. LCME

Basically I know the guy who gave me his number to call regarding mulch install. So, no I do not know him directly. After talking to him yesterday and meeting his family. He appears to be like normal guy. He did tell me his next door neighbor has lawn service. But, his neighbor is not happy with the service and this guy doesn't like him because when he cuts he blow grass all over his lawn. The lots are close together but deep. I do not know the going rate in this neighborhood. But, when I was there I saw 2 other LCO's cutting. The reason this guy told me $50 is because he did have another LCO estimate before. Well I know TMI :dizzy:

7. WigginsLandscaping

WigginsLandscaping LawnSite Member

My experience has always been positive with people. I would personally know when i first speak to them whether I will trust them or not. I am not always right but i am more right than wrong. I havent been burned much. I always tell them I know where you live. I make a habit out of not taking money until job is done. I have had pretty good luck though and I know that my time is coming. On larger jobs i will take a deposit on materials with a signed contract but that is the only time. Most I am out on a yard is a small amount of labor and sweat. In my opionion. Especially on a small yard paying 50. Good account possibly to hand on too.

8. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

If he doesn't pay, you could always take out a judgement on him for what the service is worth.

9. LCME

ops! sorry guys typo 80x150 deep. :eek:

10. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Why be cautious of this guy? If he throws a price of 50 bucks at u, cut his yard. He is used of paying that kind of money for services so treat him very well, he expects it. Mow his lawn well then bill him accordingly. I see a potential good customer