pricing lawn cuts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jan 5, 2001.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

im new to this site, and want to thank all of u , you have been very helpfull. ive been in business now about 4 years, and just starting to turn a good profit. i usually estimate a lawn cut by eye. ive read here that alot of guys charge based on a stop fee, and calculate an hourly rate. i like the idea, but how much is a stop fee, and how much per hr is reasonable for a solo operator?my lawns are in groups of 2 or 3 , and the groups are about 10 min apart. i just dont want to be "lowballing " the work. any help is, as always, greatly appreciated. BOBBY

2. Bobby, it would be very helpful if you would fill in your profile. It helps to know where you are located, you don't have to give the town/city, just general geographical location. This way members in your area can answer your questions.

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

oh, sorry guys, im located in northern new jersey. BOBBY

4. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

yeah, no lowballing. we already have enough of those around central N.J.#%***+%!! SCABS!!!!i'd still like to know who this guy is- since he apparently knows me.BOB?(anyone from N.J. thread)-LJ

5. bubenberg

bubenberg LawnSite Member

unless you are doing city of phila rowhouses you should charge a minimum of 20- 25.00 per trailer gate drop

6. Spence

Spence LawnSite Member

bubenberg,

What do you mean by $20- $25 per trailer gate drop? Do you mean that you should not charge no less than about $20 to do a job, no matter how small it is? Or did you mean something else?

7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

They are talking about a bare bones minimum for sevices rendered when they refer to "the gates dropping"

8. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

$25 dollars absolute minimum (still to cheap i think)to come out =( fuel+time) and take my machines off my trailer= (fuel+time),mow lawn= (fuel+time). no matter if it's a grave marker size lawn. $20 dollars if there are 2 next to each other (small lawns).only scabs work for free.plumbers and electricians charge minimums, why can't we?

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

well, i meant if u calculate yur estimates based on a stop fee, and hourly rate, what do u charge for a stop fee, and what is a fair hourly rate? hey LJ, u seem a little stressed out, this is a very competative business, dont u think lowballers, and scabs will inevitably put them selves out of business? if u email me, ill tell u who i am. bobbygedd@aol

10. The extent of my drop gate is my tailgate on my 86 Mazda. No way would I drop gate for under $45.00. I've lost some jobs due to such a policy, but what I turn down the bottom feeders can scrap over and suck mud when its pay time!