Pricing Lawns (Again)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by brianlooft, Jan 29, 2008.

1. brianlooft

brianlooft LawnSite Member

I'm sure this question has been asked many times, but I cant find anything in the SEARCH.
    I have a general idea that mowing is priced at about $60 an hour for one man.
    Does this translate into approx. how many sq ft one man does in 1 hour. I know there are a lot of variables, but is there a general number?
    I would be starting out with a 38" John Deere rider.
    Any info would be helpful.
  2. brianlooft

brianlooft LawnSite Member

Can anyone help me?
  3. Dynamic

Dynamic LawnSite Member

Hey Brain, It doesn,t matter how many times a question is asked on this forum as long as you get the answer you need. You are going to get answers like $60/hr or $1 a minute, or $40 minimum for city lots but all it comes down to is after you make all your payments what do you need to make money. You need to be able to make more money then working for someone else or you might as well stayed there instead of having headaches.
  4. Sunstate Lawn

Sunstate Lawn LawnSite Member

It also depends largely on your region. You guys up north can get away with charging more than us guys down south. Try the "network with people in your area" forum.

I've never had luck with the square footage style of estimating. There's too may variables. Trees, hills, dogs, etc..
  5. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

it all depends on the size of the lot and the going rate for the area you;re working in. for residentials if the going rate (what everyone else working in the area charges) is $35 pr yard and you come and quote them $60 you;re not going to get many residentials in that area.
  6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Sq ft per hour depends on what kind of machine you are using and how detailed you are with your trimming, edging, etc. In other words, highly variable. All I can say is estimate your own sq ft per hour - you know you best.

If $60 per man hour is your area's 'going rate' you can work from that. You need to figure your costs of doing business (or estimate if 1st year in biz), then add on profit you want, and see if you come close to the $60 per man hour. You can then compare, but you still want to price mainly based on your own costs and profit requirements.
  7. magland

magland LawnSite Member

In general, you charge more per sq ft on smaller lawns and less on bigger ones. You can get say $30 for 5000, but it would be hard to get $60 for 10,000. That's kind of the way pricing goes around here. I prefer to do small lawns because they are easier, plus you make more profit. But smaller lawns mean you have more travel time and gas, so that will cut down on hourly production. Staying at one location will increase that, but the bids will be lower. The main thing is figure out what your costs are and how much you want to make per hour. Then price according to that. You will get a pretty good idea of where other guys are at once you start doing bids. That will also help you figure things out. Good luck!