Pricing Lime applications

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kaufmaninc, Mar 26, 2005.

1. kaufmaninc

kaufmaninc LawnSite Member

I can't seem to find anything doing a search. How are y'all handling this?

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Price out the material, your costs of labor and overhead, add preferred margin = final cost

3. kaufmaninc

Thanks sodking. I thought quit possibly folks charged the same as they did for a fert app. excetra. The way you explained is the way I have this figured on paper but didn;t want to finish with the quote until someone else chimmed in.

4. SodKing

That being said normally I charge the same amount as a regular application unless the ph correction has to be more than 1 point.

5. kaufmaninc

Here's the scenario. I need 1% point. 22k ft. So I believe I need 2200 Lbs(100#/K) to amend properly. Pelletized is $2.9/40# plus tax=$3.10/40=.0775/#.
    I took the .0775 & doubled the price. .0775/.50=.155 .155x2200=$341 materials to spread. I'd like to aerate to get into soil more quickly and I charge $230 . $40 for labor + $30 drive time equals $641.

Does that sound right? I was thinking of putting down 1/2 now with the other 1/2 in fall or would 2200 be ok all at once?

6. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

you are correct in wanting to apply the needed rate in 2 apps. Applying more than 50lbs, of lime per K is like taking too much vitamin C it may not hurt but it does not help.

7. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Sodking,
    How do you rasie the PH 1 point in a single application? I though that 1 point would represent @ 100+lbs per 1000sq ft of lime. 45lbs per 1000 is as high as I would put down saftely. Just wondering if I understood you correctly.

8. SodKing

Your right there, my bad. Most of the lawns I treat are in the normal maintenance range and we lime to maintain Ph. Every couple years I come across a lawn that needs a 1 -1.5 correction and we do it in two apps.

Though the amount of lime you need to apply to correct to 1 point will vary with the soil type.

9. kaufmaninc

GrazerZ
    help me understand why 45/#/1k is a much as you would put down safely? I'm trying to learn here.thanks

10. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

1st of all, even with the spreader wide open, you have to make multiple passes for 45lbs per 1000. Factors like turf suffication, runoff, inability of the soil to absorb that much, is why I say @ 45 lbs. Also from talking to others they agree.