Pricing method .. good/bad?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Southern Lawns, Dec 5, 2000.

1. Southern Lawns

Southern Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Was just wondering how many of you use an X scedule for planting plants/bushes/trees etc. Each flower/plant say cost $1.70 so to figure your fee you might use X 2 or 2.5
    as the installation price being $3.40 for each flower installed. I do most odd jobs on an hourly basis but am trying to get more specific when buying/delivering and installing flowers/bushes and trees. Let me know if this method sounds right to you folks. Thanks

2. Southern Lawns

50 views and 0 replys................C'mon folks I can take it.......Really! Let me have it.

3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess an answer would be that you will learn by experience how much to charge for each plant or shrub installation....As you do more jobs you can figure how long it takes to plant each one and how much it costs you to do the work...from there you can determine the price per plant. Someone may charge X number of dollars and someone else may charge Y number of dollars..it varies between companies..find what is right for you.

4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Pricing of plants also depends on the size of the job, larger commercial jobs will be cheaper than small homeowner jobs.

5. tslawn

tslawn LawnSite Member

For installing new plant material and trees too, we always take the cost of the plant material and multiply by 2, if there's no guarantee. If we do guarantee the material for 1 year, we multiple the cost by 3. We also charge extra for labor. We do this because it's costing us money to go pick up and deliver the merchandise. It's also costing us to install the material. If we guarantee for a year - at least we have allocated the cost of the material that may need to be replaced. We may have to eat it on the labor a bit but at least we're not losing on the material. And that can really add up if you have to replace a bunch of trees that cost $100 or more. You have to cover your A$$ when planting material. If you're not giving a guarantee, you want to make money on the material that you purchased. Hope this helps.

6. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i just started this year i either double prices or triple them .for lawn cuts i charge 30 dollars and up a hour for leaf cleanups i charge at least 5 times a lawn cut unless there is nothing there.planting depends on how much instalations.when i do planting i charge for turning over dirt ,planting,buying the plant ,if needed buying topsoil fertilizing,and i include a extra 10.oo bucks for picking the supplys up.if thats not enuff add on whatever u feel that would make you happy .if nothing major like if theres two shrubs and they just want me two plant them i say 30.00 each thats really cheap my customers say. im not sure with prices i make them up as i go a long really.when i do my estimates sometimes to cover my but if i bid to low i always add a extra 25.oo if im not sure of myself right b4 i give the bid .this question would be better aswered by the pros.

7. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

As a general rule I multiply the materails by 2 then tack on another 20%. This works very well for me. If it's a small job you might have to charge more( because of pick-up and delivery time.) Also, if I install a $100 three gallon plant I don't charge $240. Use common sense. If you feel more comfortable with the hourly rate, estimate the time it will take you to pick up, deliver, and install; then multiply by hourly rate. After doing this type of work for a while you will come up with your own pricing table. Do what works for you. It sounds like you're on the right track.
    Good luck,
    Ssouth

8. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

With all these different answers it shows that each person has a way on making a profit on installations. It seems the best way to make sure of profit is to get experience by the hour and then from there charge per job.

9. Southern Lawns

Thanks all for taking the time to post. As I can see there are many ways of doing it (Pricing):). All pretty general and none toooo complex. Will try what was posted and see how it goes then adjust accordingly. Thanks again,
    Raymond

10. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

i charge 2 1/2 the price of the plant to install.don't forget your time to go run around and purchase the plants.