1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

pricing on 19 zones

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by evergreenedmond, Mar 10, 2006.

1. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

I've been in lawn maintenance & Landscaping for quite a while, but I'm just getting into irrigation Ive never done a job this big I was curious what would be a good price for an irrigation system with 19 zones, the water supply is off a well with a 3 horse pump a lot of it is open with 40' heads. Only 3-4 zones will be pop up heads. I hope this helps any feed back is appreciated.

2. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not trying to be smarta$$ed with you but I'll tell you the same thing I tell my boss and the edukators up the food chain. I'll do a plot plan and design first and then I'll give you an estimate. But I deal with very large projects and sports fields most the time but I'm willing to bet one of the other guys will have a rough guess. I used to have by acreage guesstimates of fields versus around buildings but sometimes it would be off quite a bit due to unusual circumstances so I chucked it. :)

3. PurpHaze

Almost forgot a very important aspect of any estimate that some guys forget whether it's an irrigation, hardscape, landscape or other related installments. A lot depends on whether you own outright the major tools/equipment to do the job, are still paying on those tools/equipment or have to rent them. This is part of your overhead and must be taken into account. :dancing:

4. evergreenedmond

I've already got a plan together with a price that I think is good I've just never bid on an irrigation job of this size. smarta$$

5. evergreenedmond

I own all the equipment needed. I'm not that new to this business

6. PurpHaze

Then the general response will be that only you know what your overhead is and whether or not you can make a reasonable profit based on your bid.

Sorry... I just took you at your own word in your original post of: "but I'm just getting into irrigation Ive never done a job this big."

7. Your price will be :

Parts cost + Overhead costs + intended profit = total price

As purp said..only you know what it costs you to be in business each day....and how much you want to put in your pocket.

I'm guessing you are looking for help in how long it will take so you can arrive at a number.....there again, it may take you longer or not as long as the rest of us, so only you can know this number.

I like to break it into pieces....how much of each piece can I do in a day.

Hope that helps, but truly, you can only know how long it will take by going out and doing a few of these bigger ones....keep this in mind....a 19 zone system is (4) 5 zone systems....but with one breaker and one timer.

8. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

depending on your costs and what the market will bear, it could be anywhere from $6000 to $19000. There is not enough information given to even hazard an educated guess.

bidding a system by zones is not a very safe way to bid any kind of installation without any kind of history to give you a base unit price.

9. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

The real key is going to be - how long will this job take you to complete? Like sprinklerguy said break it up into portions that you can get done in 1 day.

10. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

On that note how many guys can have a 4-5 man crew wrap up the entire system in a day? Given nice weather.