1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing on 1st Big project

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by roco5, Jul 19, 2008.

1. roco5

roco5 LawnSite Member

Good Morning,

It am working an estimate for a pool deck and Retaining wall. I have a project that I am trying to price in the D.C. area but do not want to scare the home owners. They are looking for a natural flagstone look that does not get hot and will not be hard on the toes. I called my quarry and was recommended three stones Silver Lake ($7/sq.ft.) Canyon View ($7/sq. ft.) and irregular oak valley at ($12/sq.ft.). The decking area is 2015 sq. ft. of dirt left by the pool guys. I have to build concrete base and install over that. There is also about ~225 Ln. Ft. of retaining wall to be built @ ~775 sq. ft. of surface area. How much would you charge for everything?

Thank you!

2. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

In our are wet laid flag done well brings 30-50 a square foot. The wall work will run around 45 a square foot.

This brings you job well over 100,000

3. roco5

roco5 LawnSite Member

Thank you I was looking to charge about $30/ft. for both but thought that I may be cutting it close. Are prices generally higher in your are vs. East Coast (US)?

4. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

+1:waving:

5. shethinksmytractors_sexy

shethinksmytractors_sexy LawnSite Member

belgard makes a new paver that looks like flagstone. i have not used them yet but look great and it might be cheaper also... so check into that. but if i built the wall i would charge roughly around 28k depending on what block you use and how much excavation is to be done

6. roco5

roco5 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys I will let you know how it goes.

7. ANC Stone Creations

ANC Stone Creations LawnSite Member

There is much more to a bid then just pulling numbers.

How many guys will be working?, what is the access like?, is there machine time? price of materials?, ground conditions?, delivery? do you need a engineer? permits? will you be subbing out any work?

As you can see that is just part of it.
    Where do you guys? or how do you guys come up with these numbers with out viewing the project?

Oh, and if they have a inground pool they will probably not be shocked with your prices, they probably allready got some numbers from pool contractor to do what you are bidding for, but he would sub it out therefore drives the prices up.

Good luck with your project.

8. shethinksmytractors_sexy

shethinksmytractors_sexy LawnSite Member

well i have a sq ft. price i go by that includes all of the following you mentioned. thats materials, machines, workers, etc... it usually comes out right and is not to high or to low of a number. it works good for me.

9. ANC Stone Creations

ANC Stone Creations LawnSite Member

So you bid every job the same?

I am a 3rd generation Landscape/Water Feature Designer and Installer with more than 20 years experience, and I would never bid all jobs the same on a sq ft price.

10. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah every job is unique.