Pricing on a Duramax

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by nmez21, Nov 14, 2007.

1. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking into purchasing a used 2002 Chevy 2500HD w/ Dmax this next spring. It has around 175,000 on it. I'm 'new' to diesel, except for what I've scrounged around reading on here. What kind of price could I expect to pay? Body is in great condition. Owner is meticulous about maintenance, and has good records. I understand that the engine has plenty of life in it, but what about the other components? Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

BTW- I tried Kelly Blue book and messed around with mileage to see what kind of depreciation there was, but found that depreciation based upon mileage was 0% after you reach the 120,000 mile mark. ('condition' usually refers to exterior conditon on Kelly Blue book?) . *notice the price of $15, 785 listed- it was the same price with 175,000 as it was with 9,000,000 and some miles on it.thanks again,

dmax1.JPG

2. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Whats up Nate? I honestly dont care that much for kbb, it seems as it doesnt really work that well on determining the value of a used car/truck

3. nmez21

nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Joe, not too much really, began my winter weight gain campaign on Monday, but other than that things are slowing down significantly. How about you? I'll bet you're busy emptying your closet and sewing tarps together out of all your shirts, since you only wear the "Lennox" shirt anyways.:rolleyes:

4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

do not buy an 02 duramax with that many miles. its on its last leg. you need to get a newer duramax if you want it to last long. that trucks not worth anything. try for atleast an 04. LB7 or newer. or LLY...danget! i forget which...ha!

5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd bite for under $10,000.
    An '02 usually sells for more than it's really worth because it's such a desireable body style and was only made for a few years.

6. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

put the options in www.NADA.com. take your retail value and multiply it by (.80) and that should get you within a few dollars of the wholesale value. I wouldn't pay much if anything over wholesale. It may take a little time, but you can find a good deal. I recently purchased a 2005 chevy 3500 dually 4x4 with only 13k miles on it for $23,000. I took it to carmax just to see what they would give me for it. They offered me $24,000. I decided to keep it unless someone offers me more like $28K for it. There are plenty of desparate people out there that will sell a vehicle for a lot less than they should.

7. DEEREBOY14

DEEREBOY14 LawnSite Member

Ford Power Stroke Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

I have an 02 with 90k on it. I plan on running it until I get 300k on it. Chevy extended the warranty on the injectors for 7 yrs or 200k. Do a search to see if they have been replaced. They are around 5k to do without the warranty. I've had this truck for 5 years now and besides normal maintenance it's only been to the dealer once for a bad block heater cord. I agree NADA is a much more conservative source for prices.

9. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

NADA is also what all the banks use for loan values.

10. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

I find 02's with around 40-50k miles for about 20,000. I wouldn't touch a truck with that many miles, I'm looking to get diesel and I know they are costly to fix.