pricing on flyers??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Honerlaw-LawnCare, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Honerlaw-LawnCare

Honerlaw-LawnCare LawnSite Member

What are everyone's oppinions on putting the estimated price on your flyers? And for those who have done it how did it work?

2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

it sets you up to be the guy the owners gonna price shop with theyll call someone else up and hell come give an estimate and if its higher they be like Honerlaw-LawnCare's price was such and such can you beat this and if not they always have you as the back bone with your price

3. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

I wouldnt do it. It would probably lead to alot of headaches. No two houses are the same. Ive made the mistake of giving a price without seeing the yard based on the dimensions :5k - found a yard loaded with rocks, toys,and lots of dogpoo!!! Go meet the person, give them personalized attention, look professional, walk around the yard with them, youll be happy and so will they GOOD LUCK!!

4. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I did that last year and regreted it the whole year.

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

You may consider offering an "intro" cut price as opposed to a set estimate ..... at say such a price of $$'s ... with that .... offer what is considered basic service in your area ... compareable with local pricing

This allows you the ability .....too time the yard, check out the pita factor & meet the customer n "feel em out" n set forth .... with that you can set a firm price n go from there as far as extras .... mulch, hedge, trimming etc.

Lucky fore me in my area .... only in standard size lots do I let the guys post these flyers with a $25 intro cut ... these for me are 2-4k lots ....in n out 20 min with 2 guys .... total drive space is 10 miles in dia from the shop ... at best I usually only hit the homes directly in my shop area with in 5 miles .... and than only others where I have a group of say 20 n want to build it up to help cover OH cost n drive time

In the upper homes I don't post these type flyer's ... these would be the 1 acre on water ... they get color brochures ... other-wise we just door hang the mid level homes with our service discriptions, web site & legal numbers usually with a color photo ...of yards we do ...no generic buy it off the web C&^*P .... & mention an entrance way to a HOA we do ...so they can drive by to see our work

Good Luck in 2007 Everyone ;-)

6. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

On my door hangers, I have a "Prices Starting at $30 per Cut". My thinking is that if they are price shopping and they are already getting cut for say $25, then they won't waste my time.

That reminds me of guy who did try to negotiate the price down to $25 a cut. Told him I couldn't afford to lose $5 every time I cut his lawn so he then tells me "But I'll let you do it for next year too for $25". Great! So I get to lose money for 2 years straight. Thanks guy. See ya.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

IMHO, if you put prices on your flyers, you are going to attract budget customers who arn't the customers you want. I like customers who want quality work done at a reasonable price. I am a proffesional and conduct my work as such. I dont cut corners or do a crappy job. If a customer is looking to have work done for the johnny down the street price, let them hire johnny down the street.

I would highly REJECT putting prices on your flyers. JMO

8. salandscape

salandscape LawnSite Member

Definately not! I did coupons in a mixed bag mailer of coupons once and all i got was cheapskates, you'll attract the same type of peolpe with the up front cost. Instead of being concerned with quality they are driven by cost. You will gain headaches and lose money in the long run. Also you need to meet the customer first, face it not all customers are created equal, and some need to pay a premium to be dealt with. Joe pain is the A** is going to take up more more of your time than Suzy Happyhome and therefore needs to pay for it!

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Justmowit hit our area repeatly this year with door hangers with the price on them. And as you probably know from reading about him on this lawnsite the prices were low......

10. littlenic

littlenic LawnSite Member

I would have flyers made up without price and have 5% made up with a place to put the price. That way when you get a call back from the original flyer you can leave them with a written price on a professional looking flyer whether they are home or not. My .02

Good luck littlenic