Pricing on New & Old Flower Beds

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by NewLeaf, Sep 12, 2007.

1. NewLeaf

NewLeaf LawnSite Member

Have 3 New Flower beds to bid on this weekend, I have done some this season & seemed to take it in the shorts when it came to making a profit. When doing everything from cutting out sod, edging, top soil, peat, mulch & plants what would be a good price to charge per sq. foot. I was thinking of $3.-$4.00 per sq. ft & then cost of cutting out the sod at $0.25 per.sq.ft

Please advise, All help is appreciated.:walking:

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

To me every sq.ft. is different. Different approach, different soil, different location, different needs, etc. etc. Not everything should be put into a mould.
    Estimate your 'time' as if you were doing a good job, quote for an excellent job, and then do a quick substandard job for your profit margin :)

3. NewLeaf

NewLeaf LawnSite Member

Wow, what a great work ethic. Hows your client retention?
    Keep up the substandard work:cool:

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

My comment about substandard is sarcasm. Sarcasm about lazy uninterestted crews. The boss needs to rush them through a job to make the payroll. Bad for business and profit.
    You take care of the client the client will take care of you.

In hindsight, what went wrong with your previous bids that caused you to lose the profit?

5. NewLeaf

NewLeaf LawnSite Member

Mainly, plant cost. I was in the biz 12 years ago & I kinda got to excited about actually getting my first flowerbed bids, didnt check on now-a-day prices. Also it really seems that I under bid them considrably, due to how fast the client responded. After talking to some other scapers, it seems like they make much more profit than I had. So Just trying to get a better idea on a better price per square, or how to bid them all together these days*trucewhiteflag*