1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing on removing this tree/bush (picture)

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Petr51488, Nov 22, 2005.

1. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

looks like a over grown arb. she'll be yelling when she see's the hole you leave if you dig it out...I would scoop it out with the backhoe on the kubota and fill it and reseed it...these things always take three times longer than you est.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I see your 18, No mortgage payment, no family and no family health ins premiums. Thats why its a waste of time to respond to a thread asking if the Price is Right, and I fell for it :angry:

3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you look at the base of the bush to see the size of the trunk. If you do it your way youll be there all day. if you had the tools you could be in and out in 30 min for 250.0

4. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

You are going to learn a valuable lesson on this job.

You bid it WAY too cheap. That is not gonna be an easy job.

5. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Yea, thanks for that useless reply. I may not even get the job. SHe might start it herself, realize that she wont be able to do it.. then shell call me..

6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would love to be there sitting on my grinder watching you "Just attack it with an axe" you need to learn a little about the type wood you are going to attack, thats one of the worst for grinding, soft, it don't chip it shreads and is very flexible, my grinder would be there for 10 miniutes or more depending on its size. then you still have to clean it up and repair any damaged lawn and landscape. What you have there is a 60 dollar stump all by itself without the tree or the clean up.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Sonny you need to read my first reply BEFORE you said you were gonna "attack" the roots with an ax. It was after you listed all the work you were gonna do and lowered your price just hoping to get the job that I checked your age. And that explains why you would charge $80 and attack it with an ax :laugh:
    If you don't get the job at $80 your potential clients a fool 2nd only to the person willing to do it for such a ridiculous price

8. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

first off i am not an lco. however, being raised on the farm i learned all kinds of ways to make this type of work easier. if you have a truck you can place a chain or HEAVY rope 6 or so feet off the ground and put some tension on the tree, then take your axe and start whacking at the roots a foot or so from the trunk. cut a root and tighten the rope. repeat. if you have someone to help you with moving the truck each time, you can get these two junipers out in 20 minutes. no truck???????? good luck if you are removing the rootball, too. lol
    i do agree that you underbid yourself on this one. especially if you have to bundle and fill the hole, or you don't have a truck. then again, if you don't have any other work, $80 is more than you would make sitting at home playing on the x-box.

9. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Don't have an x-box.. I work everyday.. this was allready a customer of mine and she asked for a little extra work. I know its going to take me 2 hours to do this. Maybe even 2 1/2 hours.. The stump is not wide at all.. the picture of the bush makes it look like the stump would be 3 feet. It's really nothing at all.. SHe doesn't want the hole filled, she said that she would take car of everything else herself. She just asked me to take down the bush and bundle it for her. I estimated that it would take 2 hours tops.. Ill let you know next week how long it took me.. and the finished picture..

10. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

sorry if that was a little stereotypical. congrats for having the drive to have your own business at 18 yoa. now, get up from the computer, hook that silverado up, tip that juniper over and start chopping.
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL