1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pricing on Rolling a lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Acute Cut, Apr 4, 2001.

1. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I got a call today to do an estimate to "roll" a lawn. 2 acres is all i know at this point. I dont want to call the lady and say i have no idea what i am doing so i am deferring to you, the experts.

Tips and pricing is what i need here. Thanks all.
  2. NateinAtl

NateinAtl LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I would be interested to hear the responses as well. I can't imagine how lawn rolling can be a valued service--unless of course it is right after you lay sod. Is she trying to make her lawn level? What type of grass is it? If she insists, I would try to make her agree to aerate the lawn immediatly after rolling. Around here, an up and coming business for bermuda and zoysia lawns is to sand (topdress) to get the lawns level.
  3. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would find out exactly what she is trying to accomplish by having her lawn rolled. In the north the frost will often heave the ground enough where rolling will remove ruts from the previous years mowing. It will not, however, " smooth out " a problem lawn. Lawn rolling should allways be followed by core areation or severe compaction, and subsequent turf damage, can occur.
    Good Luck,
    Jim L
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

This is kind of a hard question to answer. If you plan to spend extra time rolling it twice to handle some real rough areas I would probably go 2X's the cutting price. If once will do it, I would back off the $$ by about $10-$15.

You must sell aerating to them once you do roll it. This should be a MUST.