1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

pricing on salt per 500lbs?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by junior496, Nov 27, 2006.

1. junior496

junior496 LawnSite Member

whats the average cost of 500# of salt?
    im just working on a bid and was curious
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Are you talking about bagged sat, of bulk? Bagged, our 50# bags are around 3 bucks, and our 80# were around 4 something.
  3. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

where do you buy bagged salt for 3 bucks for 50 pounds??
  4. bkdlawnCo

bkdlawnCo LawnSite Member

post this on plowsite....you'll get more responses....
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, plowsite IS the best place,...but in the meantime, our landscape supplier sells it for this (we also get it cheaper by the pallet). Anyway, someone from the Ann Arbor area (about an hour south of me) said they were getting it at Home Depot for about 2.90 a bag, so I called ours and they said they couldn't do it for that - it was some sort of "regional pricing" thing. SO, he e-mailed me a copy of one of his receipts from down there that had the 2.90 price on it. I took that in, talked to a manager, and said if they can't honor this price, than Lowes will be happy to match it. The manager told me. "Of course we can honor that price. It is by our stores."
    So, I ended up being able to purchase it from HD for that. They would even load it for me.
  6. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

okay, i need to make an announcment here, if anyone has a receipt i could take to lowes or home depot to get a good price on salt i would appreciate it. Im currently paying 6.50 a bag for it.
  7. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

80 # bags, 30 per pallet, $5.15 each. Bulk, delivered to my shop, minimum 20 tons, $61.00/ ton, includes tax and delivery. I know this is way more than 500#, but I Hope this helps.
  8. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Call around a little, I actually found the bulk salt at an independant trucking company that a friend of a friend new of. I have found bag salt at ACE Hardware, TSC, Country Max, etc. Every one of them price out differently. I was actually really surprised to see that the exact same bags went from $5.15 to $6.50 depending on where I looked.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Also, in NY, you can probably not expect to find it for that price. Your pricing is much different than ours up here.
  10. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

My doctor told me to cut down on my salt for blood pressure reasons. :nono:

Me ... I stay inside where it is warm when it snows. When our winters can be so "ify" here in Indy ... I don't even entertain the idea of plowing. As soon as I buy the plow ... pay alot of extra liability on my truck (not to mention tear it up) ... and tear up a lot of stuff pushing the snow anyway ... I am better off inside!