1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pricing Planting Jobs

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Sal200, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Sal200

Sal200 LawnSite Member

How do you go about pricing planting jobs. Ive heard from people that you go 2 times the cost of the plant for the labor. But is it 2 times the wholesale price or 2 times the retail price. Because im going to be doing a couple planting jobs in May and just want to get an idea of how to price it. Thanks.
  2. Sal200

Sal200 LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any idea of how i can price it? Thanks
  3. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Plant material markup is on wholesale material from your nursery. Markups can vary greatly form company to company- 20, 50, 100 percent. I know guys who charge 80 bucks for a 28$ boxwood. So it varies. Sometimes a plant tag will have a retail price on it and you can judge off that. Or just go with a straight percentage.

I usually price at 100% material markup AND a labor rate. But you can play with the numbers. It all depends on your costs, your market, etc. Good luck!

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

I price most plants 2.5 times what i pay for them even if it's a large job. You have to make money.
  5. Sal200

Sal200 LawnSite Member

So when you price them 2.5 times what you pay for them, does that include pickup, delivery, and installation or is it just for installation.

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

That's for the whole thing. If i do a design for someone there is a charge for that.

if you are going to do a job in may dont give price now
    remember price on materials change avery time
    you can give price on labor but becareful if you give price on materials 2 months before the job
    now you can bid labor acording to the time that you think you spend to perform the job lets say if you take 3 hrs on that job think about 30 p/hour and if you work with a helper then charge $60 p/hr + material
    i try to charge a 50 % extra on materials + 50 on delivery if i get everything on one load