Pricing Private Road

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by slplow, Sep 23, 2000.

1. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

I am not new in snowplowing but never did a private road. Do mostly residential and some commercial. I clocked it to be about 1 mile long and approximately 30 feet wide (two lanes width), flat, no hills. I usually price by the inches, not the push, and by three inch intervals, starting with 1.5 inches to start. They want salt and sanding. We are between Boston, MA and Worcester, MA. Any ideas on pricing would be appreciated. Happy plowing soon.

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I get on average 1K a mile per storm, this includes plowing. The cost of materials (sand/salt) is billed out at a retail cost. This year i will plow private roads with my New F 650, 10' fisher plow and, with a tailgate spreader, what will allow me to do the whole road in one pass on my way out.

There is money this market, this year that one truck will plow about 11 1/2 miles of road. Just think of the miles and then the cost.

However plowing private roads is a different animal in it's self.

This is one place you can't use a snowpusher.
    To plow private roads profitably you need a big truck. I used to use a 9' blade on a 1 ton. However when i started useing the F 650, profits went up. If you can line up enough roads, get the big truck. Keep a close eye on your blade, because you will be plowing faster, and things do break.

Geoff

[Edited by GeoffDiamond on 09-24-2000 at 01:27 AM]

3. slplow

Firstly, we appreciate the quick response. Secondly, we have a question on the $1000 per storm. Is the $1000 the entirety of the storm whether it is 2 inches to 15 inches? Or, is this per push? I was thinking of charging 1.5" to 3.0" $400.00 plus sanding would be each sanding at about $100.00. Is this underbidding myself. I want the job bad but do not want to lose my shirt on it. It is a good opportunity for me with landscaping the whole place in the summer so could be a lucritive opportunity. But like I said don't want to lose my shirt. I have a 9' plow with a one-ton dump GMC and a 2.5 yd. highway sander. Thanks.

4. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

Its 1K per storm, up to 12". What you will learn is that these types of roads can be plowed very quickly. Just note it is going to take you longer to plow with a 1 ton then with an F 650.

Geoff

5. slplow

Thanks Geoff, for the help

6. GeoffDiamond

from Maine

No problem, glad to help.

Geoff