Pricing question about installing plants?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JohnsonLawn, Mar 2, 2007.

1. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have been asked to bid on a job for a small condo and they would like some of their exsisiting beds to have some plants added to them. They gave me a planting list of what they want. Now, I was planning on charging them retail price for all materials but what should I charge to install these plants. Mostly 1 and 2 gallon containers. Do you guys have a basic formula that you use? I have used 2x the retail in the past but would like to be as accurate as possible with this one. Looking at about 180 #1 and #2 containers with retail prices between $9.50 and $32.00 each. Thanks

2. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Three times wholesale price plus delivery if its a small order.

3. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

We also do 3 times wholesale and never give out retail and hourly labor rate.
    No one needs to know my hourly rate except for me.

If you buy from the Home Crapper or Low Blows you can only double your price.

4. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I will be buying from a wholesaler. I have been thinking about charging a per hole price to install. Reason is that a 1 gallon that costs $9.50 to buy has the same labor to install as a 1 gallon that is $35.00 has to install. If I charge 3x wholesale across the board then my install fees vary greatly for the same size container. Do any of you charge this way or should I could on with the 3X wholsale method. Thanks for the replies and keep'em coming.

5. terrapro

terrapro LawnSite Bronze Member

do your average plant price x3. my 1gal with install price hovers around $15

$9.50 for a 1 gallon?! thats your minimum from a wholesaler, jeesh stuffs expensive over there

6. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

If you are guaranteeing the plants and charging a per hole price to install you may lose money (or significantly reduce your profit) if the more expensive plants die. Double the retail or triple the wholesale price to be safe.

7. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

WOW old post here!! See what research does to you, didn't even realize I'm almost 4 years ago in this post! Bring the idea alive again with 2011's numbers!!!

three times retail seems like too much for 1 and 2 gallons guys. Do you really need to charge $20 labor for a 1 gallon pot? That's just crooked. How many can you plant in an hour? How much do you need to make in an hour? Easy math after those questions. If you need to double your planting per hour, hire someone to help you. Add a fee for delivery, maybe 10% mark up on materials, and a 20% labor contingency in case you underestimate your time. If you have a large overhead, include it in your bids. Personally $2.00 to $5.00 labor per gallon is fair, I think. Use the higher end of the range for small pots, and lower as you increase in pot size and amount total gallons.

8. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

I usually double my wholesale price (or more for a small job) and figure about 10 mins to plant #1 cont. and about 12 mins to plant #2 and #3 cont. I also charge for delivery.

9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Andy Man,

What's up with digging up all of the 2007 threads? Nothing wrong with it, just curious.

10. castle555

castle555 LawnSite Member

Here's another idea: Take your wholesale price, plus tax, double it and charge for that as your cost.
    Then take that number and multiply by.65 or 65% to account for the labor cost if planting in easily dug soil. This percentage figure works out even when you compare it to a labor crew's time to install -two or three installers. You can aso add-on your markup to cover overhead and 'other' labor costs
    I am not kidding -sometimes we have to use a demo-hammer to plant in my part of California, with the cobble rock and heavy clay soil, and that would be adjusted to 75% to 85% of the 2x wholesale cost.