pricing question please help

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jeffh1988, Jun 16, 2006.

1. jeffh1988

jeffh1988 LawnSite Member
    from MS

Started on a fence line for a customer a couple days ago clearing small trees privot and vines off of one side and also limbing up larger trees. Prices were never really discussed besides work would have to be priced on an hourly basis becasue it was no telling what would end up being in the undergrowth. they agreed and i have now made it all the way down about 150 or 200 yards of fence and hauled away about 15 trailer loads of debris. So far i have put in roughly 20 or so man hours and am looking for a figure becasue they want the other side done and are very pleased with the work but i don't want any argument out of prices at the end i'd rather go ahead and tell them what this side has set them back before i start on the other. So all that said i'm looking for a rough hourly price on clearing and hauling away moderate to heavy undergrowth such as privot vines and such and also limbing trees. I shoot for 40 an hour mowing so atleast that is what i'm thinking any help is appreciated thanks.
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Got pics so we can have an idea of the scope of work involved? What are your dump fees and how far away is it? How thick of growth how many trees limbed up and how big are they? How far to get the debri to your trailer? You really should start pricing these jobs by the job and not the hour.You tend to loose your azz if your not carefull about that. The cust ends up getting a whole lot of skilled work done for a little amount of $$ and you work your butt off
    for pocket change.Gimme more info or pics.
  3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

40 will work if your solo with low operating costs. I would show a dump fee for each load as well. Don't show weakness when asking for the money. Be confident and to the point.
  4. elmo1537

elmo1537 LawnSite Member

I charge everything out (not heavy equiptment) at $40 per hour. Invoice them for one side and get paid before you start the other side. I would set up a tipping fee for every load.