1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pricing question what would you be charging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Nov 12, 2007.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

We did a leaf/fall clean up on a 2.5-3 acre property, 4 truck loads of leaves and 1 truck load of brush and debris. I had 5 guys including myself on site for 8 hrs. Looking back through my old estimates and man did I make a big oooops last season!! This years price is more than double of last years price. My thinking is to just bill him because it is what it is on paper and just tell him I made the mistake last year and he should consider himself lucky last year and keep my price what it is. Any thoughts?
  2. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

GOOD LUCK. You will need it
  3. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

If he agreed to the price for this years work, before you did the work, then I wouldn't say a thing and just collect my $$, But if he didn't agrre first....... ummm glad I aint you
  4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Very seldom you have 2 years the same for cleanup. I had a goaround a few years ago with a couple of customers over price. The wind blew the leaves down the street from the neighbors and onto thier lawn. I spent twice as much time doing the cleanup and they thought I should only raise my price by 20%. They were not happy, but paid. I didn't get called back the next year.
  5. nobagger

from Pa

Well one good thing, I guess, is I dont give prices. We are strictly per man hour. I dont even like to give a "ball park" figure to any one.
  6. nobagger

from Pa

I completely understand that. I dont want to loose this customer its kinda a "cash cow". We treat him great and he pays great. He never questions pricing but in this case he might say wait a minute here. Do I just explain to him what happen or just bill him and ask questions later?
  7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Not to get off topic but I'm curious why it took so long? 40 man-hours seems awfully long. What type of equipment are you using for leaf cleanups?

We just did a pretty hefty leaf cleanup on a 2 acre lot and it took us 2.5 man-hours for the leaf cleanup and it took us a half a man-hour to load the trailer. We use a 13hp push blower that gets attached to our Z with a JRCO blower caddy and we also use a redmax 8000 backpack blower. There is only two of us.
  8. nobagger

from Pa

Not a problem, good question. First off the property is more like 3-3.5 acres and has 4 Weeping Willow trees along with 6-7 other type trees (Oak and Locus) and 6 gigantic Spruce trees all in just the front yard, that branches were down everywhere from the wet snow we had a few days ago, so we had a good hour with 2 guys picking them up. We used a 10hp Little Wonder w/b blower, 2 Echo's a PB 755 and a PB651 (both are the biggest Echo makes) and a Sthil BR600. Also we used my rider as a bulldozer in the front yard. We blow it all into piles along the roadway and sucked them up with my 13hp Billygoat (4 truck loads). Keep in mind there wasnt a leaf on the lawn after we were done. I had 1 guy trimming and pruning about 40 shrubs and about 100 perennials. We also weeded a few beds that are aprox. 300-500sqft. and cut down aprox. 300sqft of ground cover and weeded and scalped out around his pool that was 3'x65'.
  9. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

1800 but you won't get it if you did it cheaper last year
  10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I would have advised the customer that the bill may be much higher than last year before starting the job. You need a big bagger system.
    I would take this bill to him in person so you can explain why its much higher and get his reaction. Then you can negotiate the price if he is disturbed