1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pricing Question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Pinehilllandscaping, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Pinehilllandscaping

Pinehilllandscaping LawnSite Member

My brother and I just started our business this year and I have a question for the pros on the fourm. When you give a quote for a lawn cutting job, does your price include the cut, trim and blowing away debris from walkways and patios? I have been including everything in my price but I notice some of the bigger operations in my area just cut and leave. No trimming, no blowing, just unload, cut, and load and go.

In my area I'm charging $50 for a 1/4 acre lot, and the price goes up from there depending on the size of the lot or how much stuff I have to cut around. It seems that it takes me longer to trim than it does to cut the yard. Although I do get great compliments for the work and I'm trying to go above and beyond to get the company name out there and build the business. I just want to make sure that I am not lowballing myself here.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

The mowing is the easy, fast part for most yards. The trim & edge takes more time, especially corner lots. When the mowing is difficult and you're getting banged up by obstacles and stuck with thorns it's a problem yard.

I try to interview the customer as we walk the lawn to get a good idea of the level of service they want and then quote accordingly. It doesn't always work and sometimes price is the only thing on their mind, even if they say otherwise. When you see a ratty job on a lawn you didn't get, they only wanted low price but misled you, IMHO.
  3. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

you have good pricing. you may find that you are a bit high for just starting out, but stick to your guns and you will establish a good client base. so many new guys start out at 20$ a 1/4 acre or something outlandish like that, it's funny.

standard fare is that the price includes mowing, trimming, and blowing. if the customer wants you to bag clippings charge extra. if they only want mowed every other week, charge more.
  4. Pinehilllandscaping

Pinehilllandscaping LawnSite Member

Cool. Thanks for the info. I know there are a couple of guys around me that do acre yards for $25 dollars. And then there is one guy that charges $72.50 for anything under a half acre and is always out mowing. I figured the $50 is a good medium to go with.