1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pricing Question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MOturkey, Jul 7, 2007.

1. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I have a mowing business, now part time, but hope to retire from my "day" job in a year or two and then will mow more or less on a full time basis.

Anyhow, I'm looking into getting licensed so I can spray herbicides, primarily in connection with mowing (driveways, sidewalks, etc.), and whether it is worth it with regards to the extra cost of licensing and insurance riders.

I thought I might be able to offset these costs, at least, by doing some spraying on a small scale. For example, one guy I mow for has an RV park with a gravel parking lot and has to have the lot sprayed a couple of times a year.

Now, for my question. How is pricing done when applying herbicides? Do you charge by the square foot? By the amount of solution you use? By the time required? And, how much is that pricing in your area?

2. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Neill. Since the amount of product you use on a property and how long it takes to treat that property are both influenced by the size of that property, that IS how most application businesses price their jobs. It wouldn't do you any good if I told you what I charge my customers, because we're in two different markets. The best you can do is to know your own costs and try to find someone who's doing apps in your area who's willing to guide you on things like that. Good luck Buddy.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

What does your mechanic charge? You could do the same. Say $75 per hour plus parts. You could charge $75 plus cost of the chemical.
  4. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

you charge that much and you might not be in the market to long...at my shop we charge 89.00 per hr but we work on heavy duty trucks..theres alittle difference pulling out a transmission out of a dump truck and spraying round up to charge someone 75.00 plus the round up is a bit much...
  5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Not in my book there is no difference in the value of my time and your time. /matter of fact my goal is not even 75 per hour we try for at least 100 per hour at the end of the day. But we NEVER charge by the hour it is by the job only.
  6. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

please don't get me wrong i am not saying your time is not worth what mine is..i would guess if you spend an hr spraying round up then by all means charge them 75.00 plus the product ..its the market and what you can charge to your customer...we lose on some jobs and make up on others on some wirng jobs we might spend 6 hrs and only find a bad wire its hard to charge a customer 534.00 for a bad wire most don't understand this it took time to find it.i have got into arguements several times over this.you need to be able to charge what the market will allow you ....we also charge for shop supplies which is a % of the labor....
  7. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the replies. I suppose what I'm really trying to ask, for those of you who have full service businesses, is whether or not spraying is billed at about the same rate as mowing, or higher, or lower.

I know about what the market will bear around here with regards to mowing, but was just unsure about spraying. For example, I know landscaping commands a higher price. Again, thanks.
  8. Victor

If you're not making more money per hour doing applications than you are mowing, something's very wrong. I used to offer mowing as a service and there's a good reason why I sold all of my mowing equipment, so I could focus on apps. You can make excellent money doing apps Neill.
  9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Victor gives sound and very honest advice. I trust him completely. And (as usual), I totally agree. Best wishes, american..............
  10. Victor

Thanks for the good words Larry, but no one should trust me completely Buddy (devilishly rubbing my hands together) :laugh: