1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pricing Question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Waltb, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Waltb

Waltb LawnSite Member

My wife and I moved into our new home around six months ago. We put up a 6ft privacy fence but still have some issues on one side of our house so we've been looking at trees. We both like the Muskogee Crape Myrtle. We went to two nurseries this past weekend and one of them was asking $165 each. They're about 10 feet tall in a 30 gallon container. They quoted $35 to deliver plant each tree...we are looking at purchasing six. The other was about the same installed.

I called a local tree farm after locating them online. The owner was very nice and told me he has some B&B that are 20ft tall. This sounds good to use since they're more mature than the others. He will sell them for $120 each which sounds great. My co-worker gave me the number to their landscaper so I call him tonight and he quoted me $100 a tree LABOR. I thought he would say $50 but what do I know. Sooo, I guess either way I look at it we're looking at $200 a tree.

Does this sound fair??? I've had a few back surgeries so I'm limited to what I can lift but if this is normal we may need to buy smaller and do it ourselves..ha ha

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We would charge $50 per tree to plant assuming no rock. That assumes the trees are on site and does not include any staking.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah because the nursery can absorb part of its labor on the price of the plants, meanwhile your landscaper isn't getting anything since you've already done the legwork, first he might feel like you blindsided him but either way he's going to charge you more for the labor because they're not HIS plants and if anything goes wrong he's left holding the bag.

I find nothing wrong with price shopping but if you already have a landscaper why didn't you call him first?
    If you think you like price shopping why am I in the business, do you have any idea how much I enjoy doing this stuff?
    I love it, I'm always informing myself on who has the best deal for the dollar, better price for you and more profit for me.

That's my whole problem too, customers do all this running around then they want me to come in and finish the, how do I say it, grunt part of the work... Well shoot, my attitude is if you ate the icing off the cake then you can darn well eat the dry part too :laugh:

I don't mind doing it, you know, but had they given me the first opportunity to quote a price I probably would've had more of an inclination to look out for them, but that's just from my side of things. There's no obligation it's just a quote, you're still welcome to give no answer to my quote, just keep it around as you shop, see the other thing is you already said it: $200 a plant either way, that also proves nobody is trying to rip you off, so if you give your landscaper a call first at least you have your price range right off the bat.

As for if you want to save a little money, why not check out Home Depot, they sell Crepes for around 35-40 each.
    You take a small chance, if one or the other dies you'll have to replace it, but other than that you should be fine.
    Matter of fact maybe you also call your landscaper and ask him if he would be able to provide the plants, but be careful you might be stepping on some toes if you take this too far heh...