Pricing question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnstar, Nov 6, 2000.

1. Lawnstar

Lawnstar LawnSite Member

Hey guys, I have a commercial account with 21 euonymus shrubs in a row, against a building. Some of the shrubs are grown together, most are not. The lenth of the row of shrubs is 55 feet. The height ranges from 3 feet to 4 feet. The width is 4 feet. I don't plan on doing any heavy pruning, just shaping them up for the winter. They have just grown wild with no trimming. I will probably have to trim each one into a round shape. Just wondering what you guys would charge for something like this?

Thanks,
    Lawnstar

2. LakewoodLawnCare

LakewoodLawnCare LawnSite Member

That's a lot of bushes... I would charge either 5 or 6 dollars a bush, considering it's a commercial job, then maybe add a couple bucks for cleaning up. So if there are 21 bushes, @ $5.00, it would be $105.00. If it was $6.00 a bush, then it would be $126.00.

LLC

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Take the above quote and at least double it. Clean-up will take longer than trimming them. Then you have to haul away and unload the truck. I wouldn't touch for less than $250.00

4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

If your just shaping and not alot of trimming $125.00 to $175.00 depending on if you have to dispose of debri and it will take you probly at least 10 to 15 minutes a shrub to reshape it if its been negleted. If its a make over your looking at alot higher of a price.

5. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

With not seeing how much YOU plan to cut them back, I would say $5.00 per as a low price at a minimum touch up and $10.00 per for a extensive cut back and shape.

Adding any additional monies for cleanup and disposal would have to depend on your method (rake, vaccum, blower, hands)and the ground around the shrubs (rock, mulch, grass, groundcover). I would say in my case an hour would be plenty of time for cleanup. I charge $35.00 an hour for general labor.

If it is a commercial property, you can dump it in their dumpster if they have one and they do not object. Otherwise charge them for diposal fee. I would charge $16.00 disposal fee in my area.

Brings a total of $156.00 low end touch up to $261.00 high end extensive cut back. :)

6. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

I would charge $35 per hour for the pruning man and $25 per hour for the clean up man. I also charge $10 per yard of debris hauled away unless it is just a trash bag full or so. Don't give a set price. You want to be sure that you cover your costs involved. You are in this to support yourself and your employees, you can't lose money or just break even.

7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

You could blow the bush clippings into the yard and mulch them. That would save you time.

8. Rufur

Rufur LawnSite Member
    from md

sorry to hear you have euonomous! I wouldnt prune heavily going into winter, but ok to cut the "leaders" down I would try to make a hedge w them too much of a pain to make rounded shapes with overgrown bushes and the severe pruning needed would look funny on a commercial site..if you do have to make them rounded reconsider your first estimate you'll be there for a long time

9. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

$225

10. Lawnstar

Lawnstar LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for the replies. Five to six dollars a shrub is exactly what I had in mind, $125.00. (Always give yourself a little cushion plus the misery factor, hate trimming shrubs.)

There are no rocks, mulch or ground cover around the shrubs, just grass. I have permission to use their dumpster, plus the dumpster is 12 feet away from the end of the shrubs. I plan on raking the cutting.

I don't plan on doing any heavy trimming this late in the year, although it looks like these shrubs have been let go all year.

Like Rufur said, its going to be a pain to make round shapes out of the shrubs. The only problem is most of the shrubs are not close enough together to make one long hedge row. I may have to reconsider my $125.00 price because is does take a LOT longer to make round shapes out of any shrubs. I may go with something like $7 to $8 a shrubs.

Thanks again,
    Lawnstar