Pricing Questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FiNaL, Jun 28, 2003.

1. FiNaL

FiNaL LawnSite Member

What would you all charge to mow a lawn that is 3/4 of an acre? thats mowing along with weed eating? We're located in Ohio, and here most mowing jobs start at $15.

2. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

If I were doing it, it would probably be in the neighborhood of $30-$35. That's pretty much the going rate here for yards that are 3/4 to a full acre, give or take a few bucks. I use that price as a baseline then charge extra for anything that would cause me extra trimming like lots of trees, fences, etc. Yards that size will typically take me an hour to mow, trim, and blow. Those prices are about right, because I like to try to average $25-30 per hour. Best of luck.

3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

$15.00 is your typical lawn, really, that's bad, ever think about moving?

I'm not saying this in any attempt at humor either, that's just terrible, $15.00, why not just give it away, become the first not for profit/charity LCO.

Anyone reading this thread, is that price correct, this guy needs some help, or is it Ohio?

4. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I live in a semi-rural area of East Tennessee and that $15.00 price for a 3/4 of an acre yard is much too low even for here. Some of the lowballers I've seen advertise in the paper "cheapest prices anywhere" might do it for that though. Like I said earlier most LCO's here typically get 30-35 and maybe $40 per cut. If I knew all I could get was $15 for that size yard, I believe I would just stick to my full-time printing job.

5. Lawn Cops

Lawn Cops LawnSite Member

$40.00 Minimum, probably more like 50. It depends......

6. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I dont really care much anymore if its a 1/3 1/2 or 3/4 property. With a Z, the amount of turf is far less important then how much trimming there is and/or how many obstalces. 45 to 50 dollars

7. FiNaL

FiNaL LawnSite Member

Yep all the small one man or family lawn care companys are charging $15 and up a yard. I never said that 3/4 acre was going for $15 around here. I just said Mowing prices START at $15 and up. I looked over the whole thing yesterday and i am charging $25 for just mowing and $32 for mowing and trimming and $40 + for full clean up,mowing,trimming and blowing but blowing is free with every package i got. So what do you guys think about those prices that i have? Here's a question what would you guys Charge for a very small yard that is so small you can't fit a riding Lawn mower in? I'm just wondering cuz i am just starting out here. Do my prices seem right? or still to Low? The craziest Price i ever seen around here was some guy charging only $15 every single lawn. Anyways Thanks for the INFO

8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

shoot an "off" number to the customer; ie $38 instead of $40 and so on. I've had good success going $1-2 under a whole "larger" number. It's a psychological thing.

9. Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

I would charge $1,539.25!

That answer goes well with that question ...
    :D

10. mmlawn&landscape

mmlawn&landscape LawnSite Member

My per acre pricing starts at $80. That includes the average trimming time (around 15-20 mins) for a yard that size. People around here that have that much land and even want an estimate from a lawn company has money and are just willing to pay that amount. So in your case I would have to price it at around $55-65 give or take a few bucks. Hope this helps.