Pricing slice-seeding jobs

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by F Haney, May 6, 2006.

1. F Haney

F Haney LawnSite Member

I recently slice-seeded my own yard . Whoever designed slice seeders needs to be shot...they are very difficult to manuever. You have to manhandle them when you turn. Nothing like commercial walkbehinds anyway. I vowed that I would never do a slice-seeding job for a customer. Well, the very next day one of my customers asked me to slice seed about 20,000 Sq ft. of his property . I told him my experience doing my own yard and how difficult it was. I did agree to do it for him. However, since I have never done this for hire (slice-seed) I don't know what to charge him. I just told him I would give him a fair price and he is fine with that. Any help from anyone would be appreciated! Thanks !

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Tell him three to four bucks per # of seed and you supply the seed you should do $80 bucks and up a hour,+ fertilize.

3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of seeder did you rent. I use BlueBird and not problems.

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We run a lesco renovater simple to me.

5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

He probably used a Ryan mattaway.We have mattaways and renovators, the Ryan can be a bear for the workers. It has tubes that feed seed into disc's,which in turn puts the seed into the slits, front wheel gear drive.The Ryan gets excellent germination, no complaints with it performance, just with the operator fatigue it causes the workers. The renovator is much less a fatigue inducer for the employees.

6. F Haney

F Haney LawnSite Member

Thanks for advice. I believe the type of seeder I rented was a Ryan...your description, 6'7" 330, sounded just like it. I will search for the easier brands now that I know there are some. Any other pricing advice would be appreciated. I have been a mainly mow, trim , blow and go type, but this year I've begun adding services since I have my foot in the door to some upscale homes (800k-1 m.5 mil) Thanks in advance to any that give pricing advice.

7. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

We use Lesco Renovators, charge $75/k and guarantee it in the fall as long as its watered properly

8. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

Try the LS-20 that Turfco makes it does a great job seeding on 1.5 inch centers and is easy to operate. (When it is set up right) I have gotten hold of some not set right and they had to be pushed unitill I set it up right so it was digging into the ground and pulling itself then it was easy.
    Anyway the Ryan was designed in the 50s / 60s for golf couse greens. It was then revised in the 80s for lawns but it is still just a golf machine designed to run on smooth flat ground. It is a bear to run on lawns. Look at the Turfco unit...at Turfco.com

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

the Lesco is about the ultimate in walk behind seeders. With the weight and the hydrostatic drive, there is no surging, so the seed rate is always consistent and there is no muscling of the machine required.

10. Rhodester

Rhodester LawnSite Member

Slice seeding
    20K flat, few obstacles, single pass @ 4-5#/K (80-100 lbs.) - $1200
    20K flat, few obstacles, seed & cross seed @ 4#/K (160-200 lbs.) - $2000

Either includes tight mow & bag, hand removal of thatch debris, hand seeding of tight spots, inside corners etc. & starter fert.