pricing snow removal compared to cutting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cutterj, Mar 22, 2005.

1. cutterj

cutterj LawnSite Member

For the one of you out there that do snow removal and cutting, is there a correlation between what you charge between the two. For example if you have a $25 a week lawn, for plowwing should it be double, triple, or a certian percentage more??? Just hoping I can find a quick way to quote for the people that are asking for both until I can figure out what the goin rates around here are. This is the first year I'm gonna offer the service. Hopefully i placed this question in the right forum.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Absolutely not...period

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

YES! I charge as much as possable for both services.................period :D

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Anything to get that mattress thicker, huh Mac...LOL

5. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

once again, how much does it cost you plus extra for coldness& all hours service, and maybe a little profit

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

It depends on yor overhead, the competition, your equipment etc. There is no one answer. do you want to charge a $1 an hr to beat the crap out of a 50 k truck? is plowing for 72 hrs staight with no sleep worth $1.50 an hr? figure your cost and what you need to make for a profit. A pick up truck plowing residentials can make $2 a min. a large truck plowing commercial can make $3 a min. A pick up truck plowing a large commercial can also make very little per hr. So there is no correlation.

7. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Just figure what your time is worth, and add in your overhead expenses. Figure what you want to get "per push" say you start plowing the minuet there is 3" on the ground on a lot. You will clear the lot 3 times in a 9 or 10" storm. For residentials you might just have to wait until all of the snow has fallen.

8. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

No would be a huge understatement.

I disagree with this. You need to find out an example of going rates in your area and find out what your market will bear. Snow removal is not for everybody. By finding out these numbers you will not leave any money on the table so to speak.

Scott

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, have to totally agree