1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pricing sports fields

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Feb 24, 2003.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

To those who mow sports fields I have a question. How do you price fileds? My soccer coach is currently looking for a landscape contractor to mow our soccer field and he asked what I would bid on the field. The field is approximately 80 yards(240 ft), by 100 yards(300 feet). He said his lowest bid is $80 so far and I told him well it might be around there or it might not. He said he wants it cut about 40 times a year. It is nice thick plush green without weeds grass so the stripes will show great. It is level as could be so no small hills. Tell me what you would bid on it around an exact number because I could say anywhere from $80 to $110. Thanks
  2. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Talk to Stone, he specialized in those. :p ;) :p
  3. I cut my ball diamonds by the hour i get $35 an hour with a 10% rase second year. (cant charge any more around here) for 80 bucks i`d be hard pressed to pick it up if there was trimming and more grass than just the feild. but if it was just the field I could probably do it in 1 hour comfortably if so 80 would be fine. what kind of mower are you gonna cut it with?
  4. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

CML, I will be cutting it with a 52" Scag hydro with only a 14hp Kawasaki . The engine will defintiely be replaced by a 17hp Kawasaki in the spring and I'm pushing the folks to let e get another Scag hydro. It would just be fo cutting the field. Easy cutting. Oh and I will also be replacing my single wheel Velke with a dual wheel Velke. Peace
  5. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

If it took him 2 hrs, He would still be making $10 more then you are cutting your ball diamonds. So why would you be hard pressed to pick it up? Just an observation. I would not do it unless I can get in done in less then 90 minutes.
  6. To the best of my experience, that could get it done in an hour or two, I know my 99 ariens ZTR 48" cut would do it in an hour . since wbs aren`t as fast as ztrs i`m not shure. i`ve only used a wb that big , was to do some residental lawns. it was a Derby 52". But I just got goin full out last year , there are alot of other guys out there that can give you a better time estimate. if it took you 2 hours even with no trimming its still $40 an hour.

Soupy; hes in Cleveland not rural Ontario like me . i am sayin if i was in cleveland were you can charge more i`d be hard pressed, but if it came up here i`d pick it up. and i have found out that i bid 8 bucks under the second lowest person bidding on that tender, that was my fault that i got it for 35. and i have learned from that to rase my prices to get more $ and be more competitive.

7. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I mow about six acres of soccor fields with an 84" National mower.
    Dependent upon temperatures - it will take me about 4 hrs to mow the fields then use my ztr to pick up the outer areas.
    I typically receive @$185.00 pr cut - more if I trim by hand.
  8. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

How are you going to keep it that way? You're only 14 you cant get a license to apply chemicals. Don't take me wrong I admire your "Go Get-um'" spirit but some jobs should be left to Turf Grass Pro's. This job will or should require insurance both general liability and workers compensation as this is a commercial property and you can not provide any of these because you're 14. Not to mention sports fields provide NO room for error. This type jobs take years of experience to master. My advise to you would be to pass on this one. Learn all you can from this site and on your residential accounts and after high school furtherer your education with a Turf Grass Degree.
  9. etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawnkid -

I'd have to agree with NC Big Daddy. I don't want to discourage you and your drive but when you go from just mowing neighbors lawns to sportsturf now you really separate "the men from the boys." If this is something you want to do ... do your homework and possilbly pursue a turfgrass degree there's good money in it for those who know what their doing. Do it wrong and you'll have sports field named after you after you replace it. Sportsturf has an attitude all different in itself. Because of the harsh use coupled with short height of cut it demands alot more attention and treatment from chemicals to look good. Your juggling Primo, fungicides, irrigation, etc. I'm sure that NC Big Daddy would agree that an onset of a fungus or insect can destroy a sportsfield in a matter of days. You really need to approach this as preventative measures rather than try and control it after the fact.

This is primarily how we do it. We will put together a sports turf maintenance program for a campus that will include all the fertilization & weed control, overseeding, topdressing, aeration, etc.

If they want us to mow them, then they must contract with us for the above mainentance as well. I won't mow them without total control. And we won't mow them on anything less than time and material because of growth extremes. We could be there three times a week or once a week to mow. They only thing we don't do is line....as of yet.

Hope some of this helps some.
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

What size of mowing deck are you using? With my Walker 52" SD deck I could mow it in probably 75 minutes.....I would do it for $80 in a heartbeat.