1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Pricing the flat land!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dingo, Feb 28, 2000.

1. Dingo

Dingo LawnSite Member
    from TN

What kind of price do yall give per amount of sq ft. on a house that is pretty flat and has very few things in the way? say yards that are 2000-5000? 5000-10000? and so on. I know many things effect the price but what would you generaly charge

2. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

$20 to stop fee + 1.25-1.50 sq. ft.

3. SNOWMAN

SNOWMAN Guest

Lazer do you mean 1.25-1.50 per 1k sq. foot<br>

4. Lazer

1.25-1.50 per SQUARE FOOT?!?! :)<p>Heck, I'd go into the lawn business if you could charge that! :)<p>Sorry, 'bout the typo.<p>

5. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

Lazer,<p>I imagine you've explained it in a previous post I haven't read, but what is this &quot;to stop&quot; fee you're talking about? Is this something you've come up with yourself? I don't require any help with how to quote properties...I'm just curious about the terminology.<p>----------<br>Dave in S.Ontario<br>

6. Lazer

It's just an amount to which you add the sq ft costs to.<p>Obviously you have to have some minimum and that's just a simple way to figure it.<p>It's the fee that pays for mobilization and unloading/reloading.

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Stop Fee: When you finish Billy Bob's yard and crank the truck, Buick, whatever, you head to your next yard, call him Uncle Jesse. Once you crank the truck, you are in effect working on Uncle Jesse's yard. You have to be compensated somehow in the drive over there, you may have hired help sitting beside you, he is still on the clock unless you pay him a % per yard. If he is still on the clock and it takes you 1/4 of an hour (15 minutes) drive time then 5-6 minutes to unload the mowers, maybe gas up the trimmer etc. you have payed your help nearly a half hour of labor. By putting in an arbitrary number and, of course you keep this to yourself, adding it to the price of the yard you wind up paying yourself for the time elapsed between Billy Bob and Uncle Jesse's plus the unloading and re-loading of equipment, tools, and your self. <p>Call a plumber or electrician for a problem, they will charge you for that trip over to your place even if you fixed the problem before they showed up. They call it a service charge! What did they do though? Got a call, loaded up, drove to your house, unloaded something (even if it was his body) and went to work. Same thing applies.<p>Homer

8. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Lazer,I take it that you only use this stop fee for anything under 10,000 sq.ft.? I like that idea,but at what point do you start changing your numbers [ex.1/2 acre= apx.22,000 sq ft] 22x1.25=27.50 plus your 20.00 stop fee thats a 47.50 cut,sounds great but I know I'm not able to get that here.Thanks

9. Lazer

It's always added on.<p>I just typed up a residential bid 22,400 sq. ft. $49.00/weekly mowing service.

10. Dingo

Dingo LawnSite Member
    from TN

Thanks for all the great responses! This pries given include trimming, edging, and blowing right? <br> thanks for the help<br> Dingo