pricing toro 400 estate

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mmsd, Jan 13, 2006.

1. mmsd

mmsd LawnSite Member

I am looking at a 2005 zmaster 400 estate w18hp kohler single w/48" deck. This unit is a demo w/full warranty and 25 hrs. anybody know what a fair price would be. Northern Illinois.

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

not commercial grade, smallerengine not rated mor as many hours, and the deck isnt nealy as good, its not that much to move up to the commercial mode in the 450 series..

if they find out you are mowing commercially and they will by the hours on it, , the warrenty will not be honored

3. daveintoledo

dont know about a demo, but here the 400 was advertised for 4900.00

the 450 was 5900.00

4. CHRIS MELROSE

CHRIS MELROSE LawnSite Member
    from MIDWEST

The z-400 is considered a commercial piece by toro...It has a 7-gauge deck w/o the turbo force option. The spindles are the same size as the 450 series and it has a commercial grade pump and motor set up for the drive system...
    However I think the 18hp single cylinder would be a bit under powered.
    I wouldn't pay more than 39 hun for it.

5. daveintoledo

it is the estate series, the 450 has commercial stamped right on it, the 400 does not..... not shure about the 440 series

the 400 has a different deck, when i looked at the 2005 models, the turbo force deck was not an option, that may have changed for 2006, dont know,, and i think the hydrlics are different too, not shure on that one, but the engines are not rated for commercial use go to there web site and see, while they call it a profession mower, i think that is a sales term... for the homeowner with lots of grass to cut.. an estate

my salesman told me the hours under warrenty where only that of a homeowner model.... that is what really bothered me....

zoom into the close up of each mowerand tell me which ones say commercial on the front, maybe they are full of crap so my information is bad... its happened befor hahaaha

http://toro.com/professional/lce/zmaster/z400index.html

6. daveintoledo

it is only listed under contractor equipment, not homeowners, but i think this is a bit misleading.... but you are right, they seem to catogorize it for contractors, ????????

7. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

Toro Z400 Estate Series is a commercial mower that has been stripped down. It's for someone doing small/easy lawns that doesn't require a lot of riding time. It has been stripped down to fit the needs of someone w/ small lawns and lots of them. They need a commercial ztr mower, but they don't need all the extras that you would need on the larger lawns. When I say stripped down version...they don't come with arm rests, the hydro levers are smaller (not as thick), doesn't come with the bull-nose bumper deck, no Z Stand (most 2006 Toro ZTR's don't come w/ the Z Stand...it's a $260 upgrade now), etc. It's a sweet ZTR for only $4900 for those with small/easy lawns that won't abuse the mower much. Not everyone needs a rough, tough, and bulletproof 48" or 52" ZTR. It holds the commercial warranty too!

8. daveintoledo

seems ztrguy is right, i was a little irritated that this information was not given to me when i was buying, not that im not hapy with my machine, but i was lead to beleive the 400 was an inferior machine, and it appeares that i was lied too....... to make the bigger sale i guess, i dont know ,my salesman wasnt there , but you can bet your butt i will be talking to him..

i might have bought the more expensive machine anyway, i dont know, but i would like to be told the truth when i am making such an important decision..thansk for setting me straight on the info

:realmad: