Pricing tree planting guidelines?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Green Pastures, May 17, 2005.

1. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

This thread is sort of a follow up to my other thread on properly planting larger trees.

How do you experienced guy's price planting larger (average 15') B & B trees?

Any and all experienced advice, tips wanted........

2. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

The price goes up exponentially as the size increases...same as the weight of the root ball. 2/2.5" tree has a 24" rootball, 12-14' tall and weighs about 300#. This is my normal size to install on a landscape that has budget constraints. Residential price is $450. Cost ranges from $100 to $175 depending on variety. Costs are high because typically there is no volume on the residential job.
    A 3/3.5" tree has a 32" rootball, 14-16' tall and weighs about 750#. It's nice to have equipment on those jobs and the cost to the home owner reflects that. They are charged $1000 and my costs average $250.

3. Green Pastures

treedoc1 thanks for the reply. I have some follow up questions. Post them here or IM you?

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Jeeze I just can't beleive the prices you guys are getting for your tree planting,I gotta raie my rates!
    Do you get alot of planting jobs at those prices??

5. MJM landscaping

MJM landscaping LawnSite Member

I just planted a 3" diameter crabapple tree with a 1000 lb root ball for $650. Not bad for a little under half a day. Also had a kubota mini excavator on hand.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I can see that because of the use of the equipment and size of the rootball.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Triple average reatail cost to customer, if its a normal planting on a new install when the equipment will be there. If I have to bring skid steer then I add an additional charge of $250. Bigger trees mean bigger profits. Home owner can't transport and lift a larger tree so if they want it they have no choice but to pay. Its one of the few things that require a lco and you better charge accordingly.

8. Green Pastures

I've heard the old "triple the wholesale charge to come up with a cost to the customer"......

We are talking about a job with approximately 100 trees though. Is this still the standard?

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

No! you will have to make an adjustment to your figures. With that many trees and the larger size I would rent a tree spade for the skidsteer and get the job done in 2-3 days. With out seeing the place or knowing more details I would ball park a figure at twice whls. cost.

10. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

We are getting around 450 per on residential installs for 2-2.5".... we did a job yesterday that was a 85- 2-2.5" trees- boulevard planting. That was one days work with a 9 man crew...easy day at that. ...we won that bid at around 350 per.