Pricing Tree Pruning

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bulhead19, Oct 9, 2011.

1. bulhead19

bulhead19 LawnSite Member

Hey guys I been tree pruning for a while and usually price by how long it would take me ($60/hr). Out of curiosity how do you guys price these jobs? By how tall the branches are? Near windows? Hills? etc thanks for the input..

2. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

Really depends on your operating cost and what kind of profit you have out of $60.00 per hour? Your own skill level and what the market will also bare in your local make a big difference as well. By the age of your arsenal of equipment I believe most if not all is paid for or close to it. Out of your $60.00 per hour how much if any has been set aside for replacement cost when any or all of said equipment is ready to retire? A few questions to answer. I await your reply.
    easy-lift guy

3. grass.gauchos

grass.gauchos LawnSite Member

We try to do a fixed price based on the size of the shrub/tree etc. A small shrub that is 12-18inchs tall is $15, probably takes 5-10 minutes for us to prune and cleanup, then just step pricing up from there, same pricing structure with trees...just do it by the caliper of the trunk. It takes a lot of the guess work out of it. Of course we have a $85 minimum fee to do anything....

4. easy-lift guy

easy-lift guy LawnSite Gold Member

As long as your fixed cost are covered,and you show a profit after everything else is deducted from your cost of running your business, that I say your in good shape.
    easy-lift guy

5. rflawnman

rflawnman LawnSite Member

I price my tree work according to the difficulty and time it will take..

6. I'll give estimates by how big the job is or how difficult it appears. But the bill is always for labor and materials on anything I'm not doing every week.

I don't see how you could pay the insurance on $60/hr. Tree pruning is the most dangerous work. I sub mine out to A local tree service.
    Think about what you're doing. something that might kill you or cripple you for life for a few bucks. There's better ways to earn money. In my opinion.

7. g&ggardens

g&ggardens LawnSite Member
    from kent

have to say i agree a lot off people dont no how dangerouse tree work is

8. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly, also I take into account if they were to call a guy that's paying a crew, plus WC (which is astronomical for tree work) plus tree insurance, my price would seem cheap.

I definitely charge more than $60/hr though.