1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pricing Used Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kilroy, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

After 11 years, I still have, with the exception of 1 mower trade-in, every piece of equipment I've ever purchased. I've just never been much for selling anything once I have it. This thread "What equipment you wish you would have rented instead of buying it." got me thinking about selling some of the equipment I seldom use to make room for possible future purchases of more new stuff some of which I undoubtedly will also seldom use:) . Anyway, for those of you who've sold used equipment, how do you determine what prices to charge for it? I don't have a clue. Thanks for your help.
  2. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Charlotte, NC

I have only been in the biz for 2 yrs and there isnt hardly enough room for a car in the garage much less any more equipment. but if i were you i would try to sale most of the lighter weight stuff on ebay if you are willing to ship it yourself, besides the buyer has to pay for the shipping anyways, and you dont have to really advertise a certain price but rather a reserve price.
    "Id probably just keep it all and not worry about it though"

3. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

As you can tell from my original post, that's exactly what I typically do:) :) . I'm just curious though as to how folks selling used equipment come up with their prices. As for Ebay, well I'm glad that's a good sales venue for some people, but it's just not for me.
  4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Start high you can always go down.
  5. mphillips4739

mphillips4739 LawnSite Member

Don't just write off Ebay. Even if you don't plan to sell there, you can still check prices on similar equipment. Just make sure and check what items sold for (including shipping) because many items are really cheap until the very last second when everyone throughs in their bids.
  6. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

Good point. Thanks. I'll check it out.