1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pricing used equipment

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jro2625, May 1, 2004.

1. jro2625

jro2625 LawnSite Member

I need a guesstimate guide on pricing used equipment such as at 1000 hrs the mower is worth X% of retail value and at 1500 its worth X%. I don't want to get ripped. Also, on average how long does an engine last and the hydros last (looking at zeros). I would assume those parts are the most expensive to replace. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

There's no way you can come up with a one-price-fits-all formula for figuring value of used equipment. There is such a huge difference in quality between brands, and between top of the line and homeowner grade. Also, how well the equip. was maintained, and whether it was used gently or by someone who didn't have to pay the bill when it broke.

Recently I sold a '98 mod. 618 Grasshopper front mount 48" with bagger for $2500, which had approx 1500 hours. The deck was in good shape, the Kohler didn't use oil between 100 hr. oil changes (but I don't know if the guy believed me when I told him that) the hydros had never been touched except fluid and filter change. New price was about $8500. apparently what I got for it was about right--listed it for $2900, and didn't have my phone ringing off the wall.

So for low end Grasshoppers? 30% of new for a 1500 hr. well-maintained specimen.

You're just gonna have to hang out at the dealers, pricing stuff until you get a feel for what they ought to go for. This time of year, getting ripped off/paying too much is not what you need to worry about. No, what's going to happen to you is the good ones will be bought by someone else while you are still thinking about it.
  3. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

i would have to hugely disagree with that statement. i think most major manufacturers are about the same, and the difference lies in personal preference, dealer quality, and in the case of used equipment, how well previous owner maintained the piece.