Pricing-Where to Start?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Spurgeon, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Spurgeon

Spurgeon LawnSite Member
    from KY

My neighbor has approached me about mowing, edging and weed eating her yard. Having never been in the lawn mowing business, I have no idea what to charge or how to determine an estimate.

I will be using my 60" Z Master, and will trim with push mower. What is considered reasonable per hour for the equipment only? How much is my time worth?

I figure about 2.5 hours for the whole job but having never done this type of thing it may take more or less time.

Any ideas? By the way, the location is Central KY.
  2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

First thing, use the search feature. That should give you hours of reading on pricing and why.

2.5 hours. I assume we are talking over 5 acres.

The "magic" number is $60 per hour, but that may have no bearing to your reality.

very dumed down, what you are trying to determine is
    #1 what are your costs (per hour)
    #2 What salary do you want (remember to include the cost of taxes)
    #3 what amount of profit (for reinvesting)

My hourly costs for equipment and everything else non payroll related are about $15 per hour
    My desired salary is $40 (30 plus 9ish for taxes)
    My desired profit is $5

nicely makes my "magic" $60 per hour.

For my employee
    cost is the same $15
    salary with tax $16
    profit $14
    $45 per hour for employee.

Again this is a dumbed down version of reality. and will change dramatically from you to me and everyone else.
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, a 60" Z that takes 2.5 hours even at half speed that comes to 5 acres of cutting.

Word of advice. I NEVER cut family or neighbors lawns.....that is just trouble, PITA or a friendship waiting to be ruined over some silly something.