1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pricing workers comp

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by caddy029, Feb 26, 2013.

1. caddy029

caddy029 LawnSite Member

What and who do you guys use for workers comp, Im in Kentucky and getting prices of $8 per $100 payroll is that about average?
  2. Ben/Insurance

Ben/Insurance LawnSite Member

Workers comp rates are set by each state and insurance companies must adhere to them so their is very little if any deviation from carrier to carrier. My suggestion would be to have your business insurance agent handle it as it makes getting certificates of insurance a lot simpler on your end.
  3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

We had been paying 4% for quite sometime but last season they upped it to 4.5% I have no idea why but perhaps it was inflation.

The prices will vary by what it is you do. Lets say I had a secretary the last time I was quoted it was .3% or 30 cents per 100 dollars. Now lawn mowing is a relatively safe occupation. And the rates are reasonable but if you did more landscaping like planting jobs and such the rates are significantly higher. Now tree workers here get to pay 50% rates as if paying the climber 28-45 and hour wasn't enough.

What I would look for is a payroll service that works with a workers comp insurance company. When we first started we were given quotes that wanted like 5000 dollars upfront and there was no way we could every pay that. But with the payroll service ADP we get to have the comp through the Hartford and they take out only what we owe on any given week.