Pricing your applications by the acre

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jajwrigh, Mar 18, 2005.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I have several estimates to give tommorrow and I am thinking that the formula that I use for average to medium sized yards may be too expensive. An acre is around 40,000 square feet right? At what point do you guys alter your $x per 1000 sq/ft formula or do you? Any help appreciated...

2. toxic man

toxic man LawnSite Member

I think about that formula all of the time. I have placed myself in those conversations and think I would really try and find the balance point of what the client needs and what we are capable of offering. Case in Point, I could apply a full 5 step complete with pre ems and post ems with a high dollar fert, but, would the customer really choke on the price or what? I have thought about approaching several commercial properties around her who's lawns look like the toilet and thought what could I do to this lawn to make it look much better without making it perfect on a price/ outcome balance. So I have figured my costs and broken them out to just fert, great slow release fert with add ons for post emergents/pre emergents and aerations with overseeding, all down to the acre. Adjusted for the large volume. So. I don't know if this answers your questions, maybe just some parallel thoughts.

Lou

3. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

About 40,000 s.f you should have that one burned into your brain ...43,560
    Also in Indy 145.00-175.00 acre is about the going residential rate.

4. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

:dizzy: Try more like 95.00 - 125.00 acre

5. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Not me...I wouldn't treat a acre for $95.00.....and run the program that I do...

6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I strongly disagree too! I am getting good money for the smaller to medium sized residentials and those prices fall a bit short...

7. Jaysvols

Jaysvols LawnSite Member

I'm in Nashville, Tn. and the usual min is 30 to 35, an acre is 150 to 180. That should help you a little bit. Easiest way to do it is start at a min (30 to 35) and then charge 3 to 3.50 per 1000 sq. ft after that. Hope that helps.