Pricing?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lampeslawnservice, Mar 30, 2005.

1. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

This is my first year of having my license and I got a call from a neighbor saying he's tired of Trugroan calling him and they don't even do that much. So went to give him an estimate took allong my yardage pro and figured out square footage about 32500 square ft. I asked him at one point in our conversation what does trugroan charge you per app. His reply to much my asstonishment was $39. I laughed and sayed your not serious are you? He said yes, I have dealt with him before and nice honest upfront man. He said he figured my estimate would raise him a little bit. I callled him back and told him I can't even come close to that for Fert alone. Told him to keep giving trugroan the job so they will lose money. What so you think am I way off base. Crabgrass preventer alone COSTS me 53.06 for 32500. Thats no profit just cost am I off base or do I need to find a different supplier? Thanks jason

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

You need to find a different supplier.

Dimension @ Lesco, 3 bags / 36k would cost me $30, and I know there are guys on here getting it cheaper than that. For straight fertilizer, you're looking at about $20.

Even at that, you're going to have to raise him to $50 - $60 / app to start to think about it being worth your while.

3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I think I got a quote of $16.85/bag for dimension (.5lb N per 1000) with the bag covering 12,500 SF so you are close on your costs. My experience with TruGreen in Burlington IA is they are their own worst enemy and usually cut their own throat from crappy customer service, high pressure sales tactics etc. I use to get so many complaints from my customers in Burlington of the crap that they would pull. If you can come up with a nice 4 step program, that will help a bit as Trugreen is probably up to 27 applications a year now (really 6 - 10). If you can do 4 @ $60 compared to 8 @ $36 you will be better overall. There is no need for you to do much when the temps are up with the humidity you have for a good 6 - 8 week period in the middle of summer. I use to see these guys spreading their PreM in Jan/Feb w/ snow on the ground. Why? The sheer volume they have, they have to start just to get done in time. Spraying when it was raining, wind blowing 20 MPH etc. My advice to you is to actively seek their customers (looking for the spray cards in customers yards) and direct mail advertising them. I had 200+ customers when I was there and was by myself, so I was not looking for new customers at the time and could not try this.

4. lampeslawnservice

Lwnmwr man, What lesco are you dealing with? Just went to the website and the cheapest I could find a bag was $21. Just wondering if I'm not looking at it correctly

5. LwnmwrMan22

Can't go to the website, you'll have to go to a "service center" and haggle. It's much like buying a car.

Also, I buy when crabgrass season it just about done, then store it myself.

I only run through about 80 - 100 bags, so it's not that big of a deal with 2 pallets tucked away in the back of my shed.

6. lampeslawnservice

here lies the problem season is not over and don't want to store in my shed. Nor does the license allow it. Open for any other suggestions.

7. LwnmwrMan22

You'll still be able to get to a Lesco place, and there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get it for $12-14 / bag to start with.

In the last 3 years I've been dealing with them, they've come down about $1 / bag each year.

8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I was at 12.32/bag at Lesco..that being said clearly the guy has been getting a deal even if it is Trucrud. Our price would be in the $160.00 range. I would not touch it for less than $130. Tell your prospective that yourprice is $xxx.xx, I offer superior products , I am far more knowledgeable, and also offer very responsive service. My apologies I cannot do it for less blah, blah, blah

9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

try searching the web.. try www.andersonsgolfprouducts.com i use there products, there priced right, and work great. while your on the site, you can look into buying an anderson (scotts) sr2000 spreader, that will cover that 32k lot in no-time! also try www.uhsonline.com it's united horticultcher, not sure of the price, but i have used there prouducts before and they are great.

10. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Use Prosource 1. I dont remember my guys name when I was there, but if you talk to the GM for the Burlington Bees, he should know it. He supplies them with a lot of their dirt and some chemicals. He was very helpful and they were cheaper than lesco.