pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by skurkp, Jun 27, 2005.

1. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

I am wondering if I am in the ballpark on bidding my 60" ZTR's. What is the amount per hour that I should be asking? I am told between $25.00 and $60.00 perhour for these mowers. If I have more than on emower do I charge double? Please help.

2. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

Too many variables for most of us to give you an educated answer. Best thing to do is figure out how much you need to charge to make a reasonable profit, taking EVERYTHING into consideration.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You claim in your profile to have been in business 18 years and you don't know how to price??? And in another thread you claim to have 4 60" Hustler Z's yet you also say that you are part-time 2 days a week cause you work fulltime in another job for "the man". Sorry, but this doesn't make sense.

4. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

Yes, I have been mowing acreage for 18 years and now I am trying to get into the commercial bussiness. I got a great deal on the mowers and could not pass them up. I got each for $500.00. The acreage mowing is getting smaller all of the time. Just about all of the acreage mowing the properties are for sell and turn over pretty fast. I am trying to get into something that is going to be continuous like commercial accounts. One of my friends gave me one account for my hustlers and he just pays so much per month. I don't have but 4 jobs that I use my huster z's on and they have cut my mowing time in half. Just bid the jobs I have on what I thought was a good price. Now I am wanting to bid other larger jobs and was wondering how to bid the mowers. The friend that gave me one of the jobs tells me that I am too low and that he quotes for $60.00 to $85.00 per hour on these type and size of mowers. I thought he was high and did not want to bid on jobs that I would like to have and be way over priced. As of now I have 4 commercial accounts and mow 3 or 4 days per month. I would like to be able to stop working for the company that employees me full time and work for my self, it is just going to take some time. If I over price myself it will take a long time.

5. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

If you got the ZTR's for $500 bucks instead of 8 grand, then you can afford to bid the properties a little lower. But as you probably know, underbidding work hurts the industry. Up here the rate is around 65-90 bucks per hour for that equipment.

6. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

MMLawn not that this really matters but i am curious about what kinda of equipment you have......do you have a equipment list.

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Long than your arms kid.......and if you'll take time and notice mainly only the small part-time guys, small solo LCO's and esp the kiddies on here list their equipment. I see it has more of an ego thing than anything else. Once you have been on here awhile you will see that those of us that ask a question include any revelent equipment used if that is a factor in determining the solution to the ask question. Also you will notice with more time on here that None of the bigger op's on here who do this for a total living day in and day out year after year list equipment. 1) hell it would take us pages to do so and 2) who cares really......

8. ALBsun1

ALBsun1 LawnSite Member

I just wanna know how you got 4 Hustler Z's for $500 a piece.

9. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

I purchased my hustlers from the service company that I do business with, they had a school district come in and trade in around 15 mowers and purchased new ones. So I went in looking for one mower and they made me a deal if I would purchase four of them. I have had to put one carb on one and one pump on another. The other two work fine. And just for the record I have enough equipment to allow me to do a professional job and keep me busy.

10. Shane7258

Shane7258 LawnSite Member

Price, Price, Price I will tell you here in Alabama people want the world for 25 and expect you to bag and remove the clippings on a medium size lot under 1/2 and acre. It is not worth it fuel there fuel in the ztr trash bags labor all that in about an hour should equal 40-50 in my book to stay above the 7%. For those 25 accounts they get he basic ie mow no bag weedeat edge blowoff of drive/walk and that's it 35 - 40 min. saved 20 min in labor. Well you ask are you making them happy yes appearence looks great but they figured out they really didn't need it bagged...... Know your economy becasue we are not all the same. The prices in Massachusetts would be laughed at down here byt he bread and butter accounts.... Only the rich and here there are the poor to surving....