1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Henry, Mar 16, 2001.

1. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

I know it's a little early but how do you guys charge for fall clean ups?

I swithced all my regulars to hourly about four years ago and everyone took it well. However, when giving estimates some people want an exact price up front.

I've been doing this for a long time but still find it hard to estimate fall clean-ups.

What do you do?

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

I just look at the job and get a guesstament of how long its going to take and try to make sure that I get at least $50 bucks an hour for it. Sometimes you don't always get it right but sometimes you do and then some. Hope this helps
  3. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

I take my weekly mow price and x it by 6 and add the disposal fee. I hope this helps
  4. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

You have got to think about what you are using as far as equipment to do fall cleanup. Do you have a vacume bagger, If so It does a fast job on leaves. I charge 35per hr for this machine to run. On the other hand if your raking leaves by hand ,you talking several more hrs and should charge accordingly. But figure, how many lawns can you mow in the time it takes you to do the cleanup, I allways like to keep this in mind and go from there.
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

all edpends on the size of the job, i try to get about $50/hr. but in FL we do the cleanup in the spring. Right now is the prime leaf falling season, wow we are backwards arent we lol.
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

lawnman_scott: Yea - the whole nation saw how backwards things are in FL last November and early December.... The evidence had nothing to do with leaves.

Seriously, I work solo and have leaf removal work for nearly all of my mowing customers. I tell them in my Spring letter that "...other work ... leaf removal ... will be an added cost." I never tell them what it will cost, nor even what I expect to get hourly. My cost shows up on their monthly invoice. Only one person has ever complained - one year his cost was much higher than previous year, a season when winds blew most of the leaves from his yard and my time was small.

Having said that, my hourly expectation is far less than what I see being discussed in the Forum, for all services. For leaf removal, I expected about $20/hr, plus disposal fees. That is typical of what I expect for non-mowing work, $30-35 for mowing work. Let's face it, clearing leaves requires some effort and a willingness to do it. It requires little know-how, no technical expertise, little responsibility other than doing the work. I cannot be expect to be largely compensated for this kind of work.

These pricing issues are another matter for another thread ...

[Edited by Roger on 03-17-2001 at 08:38 AM]
  7. Turfclippings

Turfclippings LawnSite Member

Leaf removal, we charge $60 a hour, with 2 people using a backpack a chopper to mulch with, and Walker to vaccum with. Dump them at the curb and load them with the truck loader, and charge $10-15 per disposal fee. Most yards are done in an hour with some up to 2 hours. with no complaints on prices.