1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by jesterslawncare, Jan 12, 2006.

1. jesterslawncare

jesterslawncare LawnSite Member

iam getting good at my estimates as far as getting the work because there is so much competition in this area of new jersey.I just wanted to know what some of you guys charge to install sod per sq foot and what your charging for your hourly rate also do you charge tax on your lawns that you cut.thanks for your help
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

this one area that I have never touch in all the years of my service. Sod scares me. Just the whole of preparing the soil first, then installing. Then there is a chance that it will dry out, not take hold, or the homeowner doesn't take care of it properly for the first few months. And then all that money down the drains. Just scares me....
  3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Hey Jesters Lawn Care, Welcome from a local. I am right around the corner from you in township. You are correct their is a lot of competition in our area. In response to the tax on cuts. Right now I am building that into my price. Keep in mind though that whether on not you charge for it you will still have to pay good ole uncle sam his sales tax. Now in regards to the sod question. Are you a licensed contractor? The reason that I ask is this happens to be one of those things that NJ insists that you are licensed for. In addition, unless you can get some good contracts doing it I personally wouldn't recommend doing it. It is not cheap, and it can be a nightmare. This is JMO. Good Luck and welcome to LS from your competitor(lol):)
  4. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

charge by the yard not foot its easier. 2.5x times what we pay for it.
  5. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

FOr the most part sod is easy. IF a sod job fails, 10 times out of 10 it is because the homeowner does not maintain it after installation. Explain that up front, maybe scare em a little and they will take ownership. Especially after they stroke you that fat check for the install you just completed...For the most part, they are going to do everything they can to ensure the "new lawn" is successful....

WHen we do sod, we give them instructions printed in a monster size font that says DONT FORGET TO WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!