1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Apr 11, 2006.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Does anyone price lawns in increments smaller than $5.00? Do you have any lawns that are $23, $37, $46 (for example), or are they all $25, $30, $40, etc?

Thank you,

Joel B.
  2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Normally we price lawns at the $5 increments like $30, $35, $45, etc, but then when price increases occur, then the prices get all flopped around at $32, $37, $48 etc.
  3. Tight Angles

Tight Angles LawnSite Senior Member

I'll price them $22, for standard lots and $26 for corners, or more if the lots are bigger.
  4. trent515

trent515 LawnSite Member

Most of my lawns are $25, $30, or $35, to make it easy on me. But for special occasions, temporary service, one-time service, etc., I add a surcharge of $2, $3, $7 etc. to the price. Don't cut yourself short by trying to charge $25 when you really should be getting more. If you need $28 for that lawn, charge $28, or round up to $30, not down to $25.
  5. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep I agree.. my minumiun here is $30 for residential that take 20 mins... Wont cut anything under that... other wise for cash customers increments of 5 is what we do, but for customers paying checks its different due to taxes. Also when price increases happen, its usually $2 a yard.
  6. Shane7258

Shane7258 LawnSite Member

I am still looking for that 20 minute yard I think I have one that comes close I am in the hour and 2 hour range 40 and 80 respectively. Although I lost my a$$ on a cleanup thought I would be there 4 hours bid 125 was there 6 and a half and lost my A$$
  7. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

well seems you basically are just starting out.. and work by yourself? Which is great....But It happens.. no better way to learn to bid then to get beat.

Sometimes you eat the bear... and sometimes the bear eats you.

I have appox. 210 residential accounts, so the $30 lawns we do about 45 a day
  8. wacamaster

wacamaster LawnSite Member
    from MI

Mine were mostly by $5's but this year i raised all prices by $2 due to gas so now they're not.
  9. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

210 Residentials....that is awesome....I just started last year and it is tough coming getting mow accounts.. I can get spring cleanups all day, but the mows are tough to find....Good for you jbailey. By the way I also hold the 30 dollar minimum on all lawns regardless of how small...
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed on the mows, I got plenty of work but nothing compared to last year and the mowers are sitting idle about half the week. We need R-A-I-N.

This is the one reason why I say an Lco might not survive mowing alone, thou I will say for a couple of years I had it going on, this year it appears other stuff is higher on the list. Fine by me so long it holds out, the diversity is kinda cool.

35 minimum here but 30 is very solid, I ran 30 for a long time and it gets you in the door quicker, too. For the most part I got tired of postage stamp lots, no matter how small the lot, it always took 20+ between all the bs. Price-wise, always 5 dollar incs for me but the price at the start of the year is the price at the end of the year - also a 5 dollar raise on any customer tends to stick for 3-4 years, sometimes 5 <- It has its benefits, and its drawbacks as well.