Pricing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ppfield, Jan 15, 2007.

1. ppfield

ppfield LawnSite Member
    from florida

Greetings all,

I'm looking to start a business of my own and have "adequate" tools to start... but was wondering by what criteria are most businesses using for pricing. (By the SqFt; obstacles in the lawn; how much dog excrement, etc?) I just don't want to be "that guy" everyone complains about under-cutting everyone else. I just want to take care of the family doing something I love.

:usflag:

2. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Get quotes from other area landscapers, or have it done discreetly (Have grandma, or aunt lucy call if you dont want to step on toes) to get a feel for the going rates in your area. No one can tell you for sure what to charge, you need to know your costs of doing business! Do a search on here, it has been discussed a ZILLION times. You will ALWAYS be "that guy" to some company out there, but to others, you will be just another company. You cant please everyone, as long as you are happy, and making money, dont worry about what everyone else thinks. Dont deliberately step on toes or low-ball, b/c there will certainly come a time when you will need input or help from another local LCO.

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

what does it cost you to perfrom the service? What kind of expenses do you have?

4. ppfield

ppfield LawnSite Member
    from florida

Generally just fuel. All of my equipment is paid for (John Deer comercial quality mower, Toro edger and all origional appendages) I hear $35-$45 a job is generally the going rate here, but I have heard upwards of $75.

5. ppfield

ppfield LawnSite Member
    from florida

Generally just fuel. All of my equipment is paid for (John Deer comercial quality mower, Toro edger and all origional appendages) I hear $35-$45 a job is generally the going rate here, but I have heard upwards of $75.

:usflag:

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

One acre 43,000 sqr ft I charge $65 if its just mow and go but it goes up from there depending on obsticles in the yard trees, bushes, building to trim around and other time consuming things.

7. Cracker Station

Cracker Station LawnSite Member

Please don't think you can work cheaper than anyone else because your equipment is paid for. Guaranteed exit from this business. You have to charge accordingly to replace your equipment, do upgrades, and grow your business. I think i have an awesome setup of truck, trailer and equipment, all paid for. BUT...........I paid for it, mostly cash or short term financing, but it cost just the same. Because it is paid for doesn't mean I can work for less. I know stuff is going to need to be upgraded, and there is expansion in my future. Don't sell yourself short because equipment is paid for.

8. ppfield

ppfield LawnSite Member
    from florida

I hear you Cracker, thanks. I want to maintain the standard for the area and with the equipment paid for starting out, I have a low overhead and high profit margin. I figure at peak for the current set-up is 6-8 yards per day (that may be a stretch) and I'll me able to maintain the business.