1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by L4athes lawncare, Jan 28, 2008.

1. L4athes lawncare

L4athes lawncare LawnSite Member

I am wanting to start a lawn mowing service in north missouri. It looks like everyone else in this area has the same idea!! Anyway, I am wanting to not be the LOWBALLER! Any ideas approximately where to start with rates for residential 1 lot mow, trim and blows?? I also don't want to proce myself out of business before starting!! THANKS for the info.
  2. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

A lot depends on what equipment you have, what overhead you have and what you plan to do with the business long term. If your just starting out you may be able to work a little cheaper than some but if you "lowball" then you work yourself out of business.

I will assume you are just starting with little overhead but I would recommmend the following. Start a business with town house customers. There are usually lots of them around. You can start with a small pickup and push mowers till you build up clientel. This will keep yoour overhead low and your profit margin higher. After one season you can reevaluate.

This season I have a minimum of $100 per month for town houses or $25 per cut. I will only take customers that agree to the flat $100 per month. The smallest single family homes I cut for $120 per month and up.

A good rule of thumb is to charge so that you can gross ONE DOLLAR per minute spent at any one yard. You may be able to work A LITTLE cheaper than this to get established but to last in the business $1 per minute is the goal.

PS What sort of equipment do you have? and what type of business plan do you have in mind?

PPS If competition is strong, which I'm sure it will be for all of us this year, you may have to work a little cheaper to geet established. Once you have proven your worth to your customers then you can begin to raise the price to where it should be.
  3. L4athes lawncare

L4athes lawncare LawnSite Member

Sorry I didn't put the equip. list down. I have a Walker 42" SD, 20" push mower, and Homelite trimmer. Also have the required hand tools. I have been doing this part time as my friends and neighbors have needed it. After sitting down and looking at things I feel that I can now attempt to go full time. I would like to get enough accts to replace my current income and just offer lawn care.