Pricing ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FS Lawn, Dec 30, 2002.

1. FS Lawn

FS Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Ms

I need some help bidding a residential yard that is 2 3/4 acres big. The yard is mostly flat with very little trimming to be done , the house is located in the center of the property and has a small pond at the far end of the property. The property is a total of 118,188 sq ft. I would like to see what some of the
    " professionals " would charge and see if the price I have come up with is close. Thanks for the help

2. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

A picture would probably get some accurate quotes.

3. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

$80.00

4. FS Lawn

FS Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Ms

I tried to send a photo and it advises that the file is to big......

5. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

1 person x 1.5hrs on my Z Master = $65-$75

6. jsnrub

jsnrub LawnSite Member

80-90bucks
    :alien:

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Discounting for the driveway, the pond, and the house itself, without seeing it I would estimate $100 - $125. And that's just an estimate.

8. FS Lawn

FS Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Ms

rodfather.........Thats about what I was estimating ( 100-125 ) The house is some what out of the way from all my other yards so I was going a little on the high end. Thanks

9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

What size mower are you using and how fast can you mow with it? Also how much trimming and blowing will there be? I plan on having a setup that could do a 2 3/4 acre job mowed in less than an hour and if 15 minutes for trimming and blowing or so, I could do it for $75 and make a good $1/minute but you won't beleive the low overhead this setup will have for it's high productivity. I wont' let the cat out of the bag yet but I will tell you it is going to eat the competition if I decide to build it. I have a 4 acre yard I can get if the price is right, and it is all flat open with a house and maybe 10 trees scattered out, I would be able to mow it in about an hour and 10 minutes with this setup, trim and blow in 10-15 and be gone in a total of 1:20 or so for a price of $80 which is $1/minute solo but cheaper than his previous guy. That means that, figuring on 28 mowings, this property alone will get $2240 a year. That will pay for this setup 4x over (leaving over $1500 profit first year I do this property). It will work great... If I build it I will definatly post some pics.

Here is how you know about how much you can mow per hour (figured accurately):
    width of cut in inches x average ground speed / 140 = acres per hour.

If you email me the picture at eric@cuttingedgelawncare.biz I will post the picture for you.
    Good luck,
    Eric:)

10. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Determine what your average equivalent hourly rate is in your most productive market and the SFT you can complete in that time. Divide the total SFT of the prospective job by the hourly SFT rate to determine the time required. Multiply this by your hourly rate to determine estimated cost. Why work for less for a customer just because he has a large lot? There is just as much work and it is not any easier. I do not discount large res. jobs. If these customers have enough money to live on an estate they should not expect to pay a pauper's wage to maintain it. I figure if a competitor is willing to give himself away on these jobs working for less than my time is worth, he is tied up there and not competeing with me as much in other areas. For me the minimum over the phone estimate for this property would be $175/week. $200.00 if I have to pull a 21" off the trailer. More if it is complicated with lots of trees or hand trimming. Last year I started applying this formula for all my accounts. Yes I lost much of my big work, replaced it with smaller. End result, more customers, less work, more net $$.

Frank, when were you in the Corps? I was in 1/12, 1st Marine Brigade, '81-'85