pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by teegrace, Feb 15, 2003.

1. teegrace

teegrace LawnSite Member

i am just starting out what is better way to charge hourly or by job and what is a good rate

2. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

Where at in Pa are you? You should start out at 25.00 h\r ,and then work up.:)

3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

by the job. There is no way I would work in 90 degree weather for an entire hour for $25.

4. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

I said to start out ,not once he gets established. There is a big difference. He needs all the work he can take if he is just starting out .Once he is established he can raise his rates and pick and choose his work.:D For mowing you should get at least 40.00 an h\r to start.

5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

He may become real unpopular real quick if he raise his prices in equivleant from $25 to $40 hr. I'd rather wait for customers willing to pay decent money from the get go and build good customer relations on the premium service they can expect. Oh yea, dont get over loaded or it gets increasingly harder to satisfy all your customers. Around here, theres plenty to go around. Just my thoughts.

6. Haley Lawn Care

Haley Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from NC

If you do residential lawns charge by the job. In NC the average is about 28.00 per yard and you can do about 2 per hr.

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Charge by the hour. Don't charge by the jobs, since no two jobs are the same.

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I also disagree about starting low. Charge what you need to make a profit.
    This means you have to have a good understanding of what your costs are first.

9. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Ouch! Only $28 for the average yard. I'd look at that as a minimum.

What I posted before wasn't quit what I meant. Both would have been a better answer.
    What do you need per hour(including every thing)? Start there and work up. Some jobs will be right there, some will be much higher payup. That's the fun of a service business.

10. Haley Lawn Care

Haley Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from NC

Phishook,
    I live in a city of about 400,000. There are over 250 lawn care companies listed for my area in the yellow pages. Soooooo I charge what the market will bear. However my goal is to make 1.00 per minute. Once you know your properties and how to make shortcuts it is easy to reach the 60.00/hr. But you dont sacrifice quality-you still do the "perfect job".