pricing?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by steve in Pa., Mar 15, 2004.

1. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

customer wants a price for a small irrigation system for her flowerbeds. How do you guys charge? What will i have tied up in a Ln. ft in materials and what do most of you charge? we haven't done any irrigation systems so i have no clue! Its a good customer and i don't really want to refer her to someone else. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

If shes a good customer and you haven't done any irrigation systems, do you really think its a good idea to just wing it?

You should do your customer and yourself a favor and sub it out to someone whos reputable.

3. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Put yourself in your clients shoes. Would you want that done to you?

4. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

I feel confident we can do the work, i'm looking at what i will have in price? We are not a one or two man operation. plus in my area there are not really any irrigation installers. only two main landscapers in area and were one of them. anybody out there can let me know what you have in a ln. ft i would appreciate it.

5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Wow. Thanks for being honest. But I think that statement is your biggest clue. Why would you take on a job when you admitedly haven't a clue? It's beyond me.

I can honestly say I've never done work for someone that I didn't feel totally confident in both my company's abilities to bid the job and to carry out the job. Whenever we've run into something I didn't feel comfortable with we either sub-contracted that work out or just referred them to another contractor. Then I watched and learned, read and read and read on the subject, watched and helped some more until I finally understood the entire process. ONLY THEN, did I ever try to bid and do jobs on my own. I would recommend that same work ethic for you.

I believe it's totally unethical to contract for work in which you are not totally prepared for. And you obviously are not.

6. gr8cutter

gr8cutter LawnSite Member

I think it is sad that you guys did not answer this guys question.

7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I think it's sad when people try to pawn themselves off to their customers as being a professional when, really, they have no clue what they are doing.

Tell me, if a contractor came to your house and you asked him to install an air conditioner in your home, how would you feel if you found out that the guy really had no clue how to install one properly, had never really studied or installed any air conditioners before and had no clue how to price them out. Your house would basically be the first one he'd ever done and he'd be learning by trial and error as he went.

I don't know how you feel but I don't want someone like that doing ANYTHING on my property.

8. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

I also think it is sad. He is honest, and would stand behind his mistakes. Please see also my post a few down "mini vacation".
    Matt