Pricing

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Grass Groomer, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Grass Groomer

Grass Groomer LawnSite Member

This year i added chem apps to my list of services I have been somewhat successful with this venture so far but i am alitle concerned about my pricing Do i really need to measure footage or can i go by eye If footage how much per

2. sawdust

sawdust LawnSite Member

If you don't measure how do you know how much chemical to put down. You must hae a awfully good eye.

3. Grass Groomer

Grass Groomer LawnSite Member

If spreader is set to correct ammount per 1000ft than a lawn is a lawn. right?

4. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

How do you know that the spreader is set to the right sq ft, if you dont know the sq ft of the lawn your doing?

For direct mail marketing I guess sq ft to give a price, once sold I measure to track chemical usage. But, ive been measuring lawns for 19 years so I can guess and come pretty close.

Ive

5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

So you're going to fertilize and then give them a price after seeing how much you use?

To answer your question, YES, you have to measure the property. Or you can keep shooting from the hip and guessing. However you prefer to run your business.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

If you "shoot from the hip" better make sure you're more than over sqf the property is. Best to measure.

7. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

for priceing no you need to measure but for putting down the fert no you really don't.. if you know you sprayer is calibrated for 1 gallon per k that you walk in 45 secs. then if you measure it or not your still going do be still putting down the same amount. down fall is. you might be mixing too much or to little for the amount of work you need to do.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

if you're doing granular, u need to know how many sq ft the property is to document your chemical usage(pounds). or, carry a scale

9. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

I think I'll start doing that today. And think......I wont have to carry the bulky measuring wheel anymore.

10. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

In INDIANA we HAVE TO MEASURE IT (required by the State Chemist) and have a drawing of it, and have calculations as to Net Treatable Square Feet. It needs to have customer's Name/Address as well as a certain number of questions for TECHNICIAN to review (such as "Are you at the right address?") and this ALL has to be in your possession while doing the property.

SECONDLY, IF YOU DON'T MEASURE, how do you know if you aren't CHEATING YOURSELF on the price???

Mike