Pricing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by earlsherl, Mar 30, 2004.

1. earlsherl

earlsherl LawnSite Member

Hey, I just started my own residential lawn service business around the charlotte north carolina area. I have a 48 inch gravely mower and was wondering how to charge my customers for my service. I am not sure about local rates or how they are calculated. I was hoping that anyone could help me with this. I have worked for a lawn care business before but was never savvy to how they charged their customers. Thanks and look forward to any replies.

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

i eyeball mine, but may be switching to a core cost per square foot. I was talking to another local guy and he does it that way.

Trevor

3. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

First consider how much you want to be making per hour...When I first started out my brother and I shot for $15 an hour each(that was a mistake), and we have now risen it to $40 an hour each. I would shoot for $30-$60 an hour if I were you. It may seem high but after deductions...it's not.
    Then try to judge how long the job will take. If you have absolutely no idea, try to give the customer a ballpark figure (for example, $50-$70) and ask if you can do the job once to figure how long it will take you, exactly.
    Finally, you may want to change your hourly rate depending on how many workers you will be working with. Are you working alone or with one or two workers? Then you would adjust the hourly rate accordingly.

4. earlsherl

earlsherl LawnSite Member

I appreciate the quick reply lawnranger. I am working alone and the figures that you gave me were jsut what I was looking for.

5. GrassBlaster

GrassBlaster LawnSite Member

I agree with Lawn Ranger. You can pick up quick business by being cheap, but you'll make other guys mad, and you won't last long.

I have two guys where I live that I compete with, but also stay friendly with. I don't won't to underbid them too much, because that will end up lowering how much any of us can make.

6. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I try to average $1 a minute on my lawns...thus. if I can be in and out around 30 minutes, I quote $30-35 a lawn...if I have more than myself doing it, I try to avg $80-90 a minute

7. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I try to average $1 a minute on my lawns...thus. if I can be in and out around 30 minutes, I quote $30-35 a lawn...if I have more than myself doing it, I try to avg $80-90 an hour

8. dart2cut

dart2cut LawnSite Member

the money sounds about right for around my area also.
    30-50 bucks average for resdential yards and about 30-50% more for business lots.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

you did to first figure out your budget. Overhead, employee costs, have much profit you want to make. That should give you an approx of what you need to make per hour or per day.