Pricing

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mownitup, Apr 26, 2004.

1. mownitup

mownitup LawnSite Member

I live in the Sout Carolina area and wanted to know how much any of you would charge to cut an acre, also how much you charge by the square foot?

From the looks of it, if people are charging $35 per man hour, then I should be at least charging 70 per hour because I use 2 people per residence?

2. pimowtime

pimowtime LawnSite Member

THAT'S WHAT I'M CONFUSED ON!! that's what makes this site so useful in this biz!! anyone, anyone, please reply!:)

3. bioman

bioman Inactive

Without a budget to look at I could not begin to tell you what to charge. However, if you know that 35.00 per man hour covers yuoe direct cost and your overhead, and leaves a profit. Then yes a crew hour would be 70.00.

4. mownitup

mownitup LawnSite Member

Then this would be the case for me, trying to figure out how much to charge for residential! Sorry to sound so dumb but trying to figure this out has been a real task for me. Take for instance I have an empty lot that I mow that measures 33,462 sq footage, how do you determine how much to charge? The only thing I have to do is mow and weed eat!

5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I used to do some estimates for the people i worked for and I knew pretty much what the usual cost in our area was so I would price accordingly. It was just estimating by eye and I always got the customer and the owner was always happy with the price i gave.

6. mownitup

mownitup LawnSite Member

From what you are telling me, I am getting the customers and they seem to be happy with the prices that I am charging, of the estimates that I've given I've only had three people not call back. My pricest start at $35 also depending how difficult the yard is and I always have one person helping (the average yard only takes @ 35-45 minutes)!

Thanks for the comment

7. haynestotallawns

haynestotallawns LawnSite Member
    from SC

hey mowin, check your pm's

8. gator-town

gator-town LawnSite Member
    from bfe

assuming you are getting in done in half the time you are correct ... here is an example of my basic formula for calculating price (not cost)

1/2 Acre site / 20,000 sf (approx) ... $20 stop fee + 20,000 sf X $1/1,000 sf = $20 + $20 = $40 total for 1/2 acre yard

so for 1 Acre site add another $20 + $40 (above) = $60 min ... my stop fee includes edging, string trimming, and blowing for a typical yard ... heavily landscaped / hardscaped yards will require additional fee for time ...

you may want to visit this link for additional info ...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65772&highlight=gatortown

good luck